Never buy tomato sauce in a jar again! Homemade Meat Sauce made from scratch takes 30 minutes to make and tastes a million times better than the jarred variety.
My Homemade Meat Sauce is loaded with chunks of fire roasted tomatoes, hot Italian sausage and my secret ingredient… ground veal.
This simple sauce is delicious and in this recipe the veal creates great meaty flavor.
Don’t skimp on the tomatoes. Purchasing high-quality canned tomatoes makes all the difference in the taste.
I like to use Hunt’s brand tomatoes. They may be a bit pricier than the generic grocery version but it will make all the difference in the flavor of the sauce.
I’m not a fan of sweet tomato sauce. In fact I prefer my sauce a bit on the spicy side. That’s why I always add a link of hot Italian sausage when I’m browning my ground veal.
This recipe makes enough to freeze so you have plenty for a quick last minute meal or to use in dishes that call for tomato sauce, like lasagna.
A little Parmesan added during the last 5 minutes thickens up this sauce.
Hungry for more?
Homemade Meat Sauce
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
- 2 28 ounce cans of Hunt's tomato sauce
- 1 28 ounce can of Hunt's crushed tomatoes
- 2 14 ounce cans of Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced tomatoes with garlic
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon each - dried parsley, basil and oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Saute the onion in olive oil. Once soft, brown the veal and sausage. Remove the excess grease from the pot before adding the garlic. Add the tomatoes and spices. Simmer for at least an hour. Add cheese and stir before serving.