This spinach and meat lasagna includes layers of lasagna noodles, fresh spinach, mozzarella and ricotta cheeses, and a trio of ground beef, hot Italian sausage and veal. This delicious casserole is then topped with homemade tomato sauce.
This spinach and meat lasagna recipe is quite simply the only recipe you’ll ever need.
This dish can serve a crowd and is perfect for a weeknight meal, or a dinner for a new mom and also can be frozen in individual portions and saved for later.
This great recipe is a favorite in my house for Christmas dinner.
It is easily adjustable if you’d like to add vegetables like mushrooms or zucchini.
Authentic, homemade meat sauce is the key to this delicious dish.
Be sure when making this red sauce that you invest in quality tomatoes.
Fresh tomatoes picked at the height of ripeness make a enormous difference in the flavor.
I usually make a large pot of sauce and freeze what I don’t need for later.
Once ready to serve, this cheesy fulfilling meal covers all the bases.
Satisfying the hungriest of meat lovers, you’ll find veal, hot sausage and ground beef inside.
Plus a few handful of fresh baby spinach leaves adds a healthy twist to this comfort meal.
How to make this Spinach and Meat Lasagna
Boil lasagna noodles according to the package directions or until al dente.
In a medium bowl, combine the beaten eggs and the cheeses. Stir in the fresh spinach.
Add one layer of sauce to the bottom of a baking dish. Then add half the browned beef.
Add a layer of noodles and add ricotta cheese mixture on top and use the back of a large wooden spoon spread it over cover the noodles.
Repeat with another meat layer, cheese layer and pasta sauce.
Continue adding layers of noodles and sauce.
Each layer of this easy spinach lasagna recipe contains fresh ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and homemade tomato sauce.
I bake the lasagna so it is piping hot and lots of cheese has melted across the top. Finally I sprinkle it with fresh basil.
Keep some tomato sauce simmering on the stove top for those who like a little extra saucy on top or to dip their bread.
I always make enough for leftovers. See the full recipe card below.
What to serve with Spinach and Meat Lasagna
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
Easy Spinach and Meat Lasagna
- 12 lasagna noodles, precooked according to package directions
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 15 ounce container of ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound ground beef, browned
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 4 cups of homemade Meat Lover’s Tomato Sauce plus extra for those who like it saucy
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Boil 12 lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, combine the beaten eggs, ricotta cheese, one and a half cups of the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan and mix well. Stir in the fresh spinach.
- In a 13 by 9 inch pan, add one cup of homemade sauce to the bottom of pan. Then add half the browned beef. Add three lasagna noodles lengthwise in the pan slightly overlapping and add a third of the ricotta cheese mixture on top and use the back of a large spoon spread it over cover the noodles. (This part isn’t pretty or easy. Just get the mixture down best you can. No one will really see this part.)
- Then add the rest of the browned meat, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, and one cup of sauce. Next layer three more lasagna noodles, a third part of the ricotta cheese mixture, and one cup of sauce.
- For the top layer three lasagna noodles, the remaining ricotta mixture and one cup of sauce. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes covered with foil on a baking sheet to catch spills from bubbling over. Remove the foil and bake five minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!