Layers of lasagna noodles, fresh spinach, mozzarella and ricotta cheeses, and a trio of ground beef, hot sausage and veal make up this delicious casserole which is topped with homemade tomato sauce.
This meat lover’s lasagna is quite simply the only recipe you’ll ever need.
This dish can serve a crowd and is perfect for a special family meal, or a dinner for a new mom and also can be frozen and saved for later. It is easily adjustable if you’d like to add vegetables like mushrooms or spinach.
Authentic, homemade tomato sauce is the key to this delicious dish.
Be sure when making the sauce that you invest in quality tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes picked at the height of ripeness make a enormous difference in the flavor.
I usually make a large batch and freeze what I don’t need for later.
Once ready to serve, this cheesy fulfilling meal covers all the bases. Satisfying the hungriest of meat lovers, you’ll find veal, hot sausage and ground beef inside. Plus a few handful of fresh spinach leaves adds a healthy twist to this comfort meal.
Each layer of this lasagna contains fresh ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and homemade tomato sauce.
Bake the lasagna so it is piping hot and the cheese has melted across the top.
Keep some tomato sauce simmering on the stove top for those who like a little extra saucy on top or to dip their bread. I always make enough for leftovers.
Spinach & Meat Lasagna
- 12 Barilla lasagna noodles, precooked according to package directions
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 15 ounce container of ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound ground beef, browned
- 4 cups of homemade Meat Lover's Tomato Sauce plus extra for those who like it saucy
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook 12 lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the beaten eggs, ricotta cheese, one and a half cups of the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan and mix well. Stir in the fresh spinach.
- In a 13 by 9 inch pan, add one cup of homemade sauce to the bottom of pan. Then add half the browned beef. Add three lasagna noodles lengthwise in the pan slightly overlapping and add a third of the ricotta cheese mixture on top and use the back of a large spoon spread it over cover the noodles. (This part isn’t pretty or easy. Just get the mixture down best you can. No one will really see this part.)
- Then add the rest of the browned meat, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, and one cup of sauce. Next layer three more lasagna noodles, a third part of the ricotta cheese mixture, and one cup of sauce.
- For the top layer three lasagna noodles, the remaining ricotta mixture and one cup of sauce. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes covered with foil. Remove the foil and bake five minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.