A perfect appetizer for a neighborhood party or game day, these fried cheese ravioli are cheesy delicious and are bound to be gobbled up fast.
Just pick one up, dip it in the marinara sauce and pop it in your mouth.
They taste a little like fried cheese sticks only better. The crispy pasta with a warm gooey cheesy center tastes delicious dipped into the warm tomato sauce.
This recipe is my go to when I am hosting friends to watch the big game. Who doesn’t have a bag of frozen pasta in the freezer and a jar of marinara in the pantry.
How to Make Fried Cheese Ravioli
Cheese ravioli is first dipped in buttermilk or an eggwash before being coated with panko breadcrumbs. Once the oil is hot, the ravioli is fried in batches until golden brown then served with warm marinara.
Next time you are at the grocery store, pick up a bag of frozen ravioli and let it thaw before using. Grab a carton of buttermilk or eggs to use as your binding agents. Make sure you have enough oil for the pan. You will work quickly so it may benefit to have a partner in the kitchen.
Prep the ravioli before frying it. Dunk each piece of pasta in the egg wash and coat the ravioli well before placing it on a lined baking sheet. It’s easier to have all the pasta ready to go before dropping the first one in the oil because you’ll be working quickly.
The kind of oil you use is important. I like to use canola oil or a canola blend because it has a high smoke point so it’s ideal for deep frying.
Whether you pan fry the ravioli or use a deep pot, make sure there is enough oil in the pan so that you can easily flip the pasta and there is enough room for about 8-10 ravioli for each batch.
Fried Ravioli Variations
I typically love using a plain cheese ravioli for this recipe because that’s what my kids love, but there are so many other options available including roasted tomato and mozzarella, artichoke, Italian sausage, mushroom, chicken …the options are endless!
More delicious appetizer recipes
- Homemade Chinese-Style Potstickers
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Shredded Chicken Toppers
- Chorizo & Manchego Stuffed Mushrooms
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Fried Ravioli with Marinara
cheese ravioli are cheesy delicious and are bound to be gobbled up fast.
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Panko-style breadcrumbs
- 1 pound bag of cheese ravioli, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 16- ounce jar marinara sauce
- Heat the oil on the stove top in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add more oil if necessary to have 1.5 – 2 inches depth to fry the ravioli.
- While the oil is heating, pour the buttermilk in one bowl and the breadcrumbs in another. Quickly dip the ravioli into the buttermilk or eggs completely then into the bowl of breadcrumbs covering each ravioli completely.
- Fry the ravioli in batches about two minutes aside or until each ravioli puffs up and is golden brown. Keep an eye on your oil temperature so you don’t burn the ravioli. Remove the fried ravioli with a slotted spoon and transfer to a foil lined cookie sheet. Keep the fried ravioli warm in at 200° F oven. Continue with the remaining ravioli.
- Once all the ravioli are fried, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve with warmed marinara sauce.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!