Grapefruit Pound Cake made with freshly squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice is the ideal dessert for any brunch, holiday breakfast or baby shower.
There’s nothing better than tangy ruby red grapefruit in the middle of winter.
Grapefruit from Texas is juicy and citrusy sweet and is superior to all other grapefruit.
Slice it in half and you’ll notice its red flesh is bursting with flavor.
And that grapefruit flavor is just what you need for a sweet dessert.
Is pound cake moist?
This tangy grapefruit cake recipe is melt in your mouth moist yet tangy from the grapefruit zest.
But that’s not all!
The Greek yogurt is key to this delicious and full of flavor recipe.
What’s the difference between pound cake and angel food cake?
While they are both similar, angel food cake is made using egg whites, and zero butter giving it a light and delicate texture that is paired perfectly with fresh fruit.
A classic pound cake, on the other hand, is made using eggs and plenty of butter.
In fact, pound cake was invented in England traditionally using a pound of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour.
Thank goodness for modern recipe alterations!
This grapefruit pound cake is perfectly flavored and it’s delicious topped with a simple grapefruit glaze.
Instead of butter, I used canola oil and Greek yogurt to give this cake structure and texture.
The simple ingredients are easy to find at your grocery store and can be whipped up in about an hour.
But don’t expect it to last long.
It’s sure to be gobbled up in no time.
Grapefruit pound cake ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
Flour. This is a pantry staple.
Baking soda. This is different from baking powder.
Kosher salt. Again, common pantry staple.
Eggs. You’ll need three large eggs for this cake.
Greek yogurt. This recipe calls for two 5-ounce containers of plain yogurt with no flavoring.
Vanilla extract. Another pantry staple.
Powdered sugar. Otherwise called confectioners’ sugar.
Sugar. The granular kind is what goes into the batter.
Ruby red grapefruits. If you can order it from Pittman and Davis, the results will be amazing. Otherwise check your local grocery during citrus season for a couple of grapefruits.
Canola oil. Extra virgin olive oil will work as well.
You’ll also want these kitchen tools
These tools are a must when making this cake.
- Stand mixer or handheld mixer
- Vegetable peeler or zester
- Tube or loaf pan or bundt pan
- Cake platter
How to make this grapefruit pound cake
To make this dessert, you’ll need an electric mixer.
Zest and juice the grapefruit. Use a zester or a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the grapefruit. Next, make sure it’s finally minced or zested. Then, juice the grapefruit so you have a little over half a cup grapefruit juice. Reserve about 2 tablespoons of the juice.
Make the batter. You’ll mix the eggs, yogurt, sugar, vanilla and 1/2 cup of grapefruit juice and zest.
Add the oil. Slowly fold in the canola oil into the yogurt mixture until blended.
Prepare your pan. Apply cooking spray to the pan, pour in the batter and bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let the cake cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, prepare the sweet glaze in a small bowl and drizzle over the cake once it has cooled completely.
More Delicious Desserts
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Glazed Ruby Red Grapefruit Pound Cake Recipe
For the cake
- 11/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 5-ounce containers plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest from one grapefruit
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
For the glaze
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Using cooking spray, grease a 10-inch tube pan. Using a stand mixer, mix the eggs, yogurt, sugar, vanilla, grapefruit juice and grapefruit zest at high speed.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Next, fold in the canola oil using a rubber spatula until incorporated.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared loaf pan or bundt cake pan and bake for 50 minutes. Once baked, remove the pan from the oven and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Next, remove it from the pan to a platter or cooling rack. Mix together the confectioner sugar and the 2 tablespoons of grapefruit juice. Drizzle the simple glaze over the top of the cake and allow to set.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!