Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast or English Muffins is the ultimate iconic dish that combines creamy gravy over dried beef and is served on toasted bakery bread or English muffin.
This hearty breakfast is a weekend treat that I trace back to my childhood. Dad made the best and I am sharing his recipe!
Chipped beef for breakfast is a special treat when visiting my parents on the Outer Banks. I’ve enjoyed this salty and creamy breakfast special going back years.
So anytime we visit we always ask Dad to make enough for everyone.
He learned this recipe during basic training decades ago where the dish was known as S.O.S – otherwise known as Sh*t On a Shingle. No Sh*t!
Today, we call it something a little more appetizing.
How to make creamed chipped beef on toast
An important step when making this breakfast special is to rinse the dried beef in hot, hot water to remove the cured salt. If you skip this step it will result in an inedible too-salty breakfast.
Now depending on how creamy like it, you’ll use equal parts of flour and butter to make a roux.
Brown or cook out the raw flavor of the flour before adding the milk. Add more or less milk depending on how you like the consistency of the gravy.
Once done, serve the chipped beef over toasted English muffins or a thick piece of toasted bakery bread.
What to serve with chipped beef
- Banana Peach Smoothie
- Blood Orange Parfaits with Dark Chocolate Chips & Pomegranate Arils
- Granola Parfaits with Peaches & Blueberries
- Raspberry Chocolate Chia Pudding
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast or English Muffins
- 2 ounce jars of Armour dried beef
- 6 English muffins, split or bakery bread, toasted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 -3 cups milk
- Shred the beef into bite-size pieces and place in a colander. Run the shredded beef under hot water for about 30 seconds to remove the salt from the beef.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter then add the beef stirring for about two minutes. Next, add the flour and stir until incorporated, about 2 minutes Then add the milk slowly stirring to thicken your gravy. If you prefer a thinner more saucy gravy add more milk.
- Once the chipped beef and gravy has thickened to the consistency you like, serve it over toasted English muffins or bakery bread.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!