This 30 minute recipe features spicy chorizo sausage, tender chicken and vegetables infused in saffron flavored rice.
Have you ever had chorizo?
Chorizo is prepared two different ways. This recipe uses Mexican chorizo, which comes raw in sausage link or bulk packaging. Spanish chorizo is sold already dried and cured and ready to eat.
There’s nothing better than links of grilled Mexican chorizo sausage off the grill. This spicy pork sausage is full of flavor.
But for this recipe I used chorizo that is already ground and used it in a rice skillet paired with shredded chicken and fresh vegetables.
It’s an easy dish that can be on the table on a busy weeknight in under 30 minutes.
This chorizo chicken rice skillet recipe takes 30 minutes from pan to plate and is sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
What’s easy about this recipe is that the chorizo is ready to go, already removed from its casing.
I also used saffron flavored rice rather than spanish to get salty saffron infused flavor in this dish. You can find it in the Mexican section of your grocery if unavailable in the rice aisle. I use the Goya brand.
To make this quickly I purchased a rotisserie chicken from the store and shredded the meat.
Cooking the chicken is one less step and saves a ton of time.
Any vegetables will complement this dish so switch up your favorites if you want to.
Chorizo & Chicken Rice Skillet
- 1 box Goya yellow rice
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 pound ground Mexican chorizo sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- Cook the Goya yellow rice according to the package directions. Keep warm until ready to use.
- Over medium heat, brown the chorizo sausage until cooked through. Remove the sausage from the skillet to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Wipe the skillet with a paper towel to remove the excess grease. Add the butter to the pan and sauté the diced red pepper and mushrooms for five minutes, until the mushrooms caramelize.
- Mix in the cooked chicken, sausage and thawed sweet peas to the skillet. Add the rice and heat until all ingredients are hot and ready to serve.