This simple and basic barbecue dry rub is the best seasoning for tastier ribs, beer can chicken and anything that that goes on the grill.
I often flip to this rub recipe in Steve Raichlen’s, “How to Grill” bible. This simple basic barbecue dry rub will lead to raving reviews for anything you grill. Trust me!
This simple dry rub is what I use on my Fall Off The Bone Baby Back Ribs and my Beer Can Chicken. It transforms the pork and chicken into what Raichlen calls “American Barbecue.”
Enhance the flavors of baby back ribs by adding this homemade barbecue rub to the meat or add homemade barbecue rub to beer can chicken and throw it on the grill.
Basic Barbecue Rub
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon hickory-smoked salt or more coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and work with your hands to break up any lumps of brown sugar. Keep the rub in an airtight container for up to 6 months.