This Cheesy Eggplant Bake is a perfect weeknight dinner – this vegetarian casserole, which feeds a crowd, is loaded with fresh eggplant, baby spinach and fire roasted tomatoes.
This dish can be picked fresh from the garden. Roasted eggplant, juicy red tomatoes and fiber rich baby spinach come together deliciously.
Topped off with a easy cheesy crust this dish is sure to please.
Don’t have a garden?
Then head to your local farmer’s market where are you are sure to find the freshest ingredients.
But you don’t need to wait for summer or even fall to get your hands on these ingredients. This cheesy baked eggplant recipe is delicious any time of the year.
I used to make this recipe all the time for my father in law. He loved eggplant and always requested this dish for dinner.
Eggplant wasn’t easy to come by in his childhood. I happily obliged. This Cheesy Eggplant Casserole reminds me of him and I still make it regularly.
I grow eggplant in the garden and there is nothing like using fresh ingredients like white or purple eggplant, fresh picked tomatoes and fresh spinach leaves.
Is this Cheesy Eggplant Bake vegetarian?
This vegetarian dish is a perfect side dish or main meal. Loaded with spinach, tomatoes and a few other vegetables , it’s the ideal dinner when you want a meatless Monday!
And it’s an easy way to prepare eggplant with no frying involved.
Throw it all in a casserole dish and this meal pretty much cooks itself.
This casserole will be bubbling as it comes out of the oven. Let it sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
Enjoy with a class of Cabernet Sauvignon.
Hungry for more? Try these easy casseroles for easy dinners:
- Spinach and Meat Lasagna
- Hash Brown Egg Bake Casserole
- Buffalo Hashbrown Chicken Casserole
- Hash Brown Chicken Casserole
Cheesy Eggplant Bake
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 14 ounce can Hunt's Fire Roasted Tomatoes with garlic
- 1 bunch fresh spinach leaves, cleaned, dried, stems removed
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the eggplant slices on a lined baking sheet and drizzle each side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the eggplant is baking, combine the mozzarella, ricotta, and Parmesan in a bowl and mix well.
- Next, in a sauce pan over medium heat sauté the onion for about three minutes until caramelized. Add the garlic, chopped tomato and spinach to the pan and stir until the spinach has wilted. Add the Hunt's Fire Roasted tomatoes to the pan and stir to incorporate. The mixture should be saucy.
- Arrange the baked eggplant slices in a rectangular baking dish and pour the tomato mixture on top.
- Sprinkle the top of the baking dish with the cheese mixture, add pepper to taste and cook for 30-40 minutes or until the casserole is cheesy and bubbly on top.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!