My Cheesy Chicken with Spinach, Zucchini & Squash is the perfect chicken dinner with garden vegetables for a weeknight meal.
This Cheesy Chicken with Spinach, Zucchini & Squash is a snap to cook up in 30 minutes and is as a perfect dinner for a mid week meal.
I am always looking for a new way to cook up chicken because chicken can get boring. This recipe is by no means boring. It’s delicious.
I needed a way to use up the fresh spinach, zucchini and squash in my fridge. I browned the chicken on the stove top until they were just crispy.
Then I chopped up the fresh veggies and tossed them and the chicken in the oven to roast for a little while longer.
What makes this recipe so yummy is the thin creamy cheese sauce I poured over the entire dish. It accompanies the chicken deliciously as well as the fresh vegetables.
Another perfect way to cook up a plain piece of chicken. Who said chicken was boring?
Cheesy Chicken with Spinach, Zucchini and Squash
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup squash, sliced
- 1/2 cup zucchini, sliced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 1/2 cup McCormick's Season-All panko bread crumbs
- Kosher salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place the spinach, squash and zucchini in a rectangular glass dish.
- Slice each breast in half lengthwise. Dredge each cutlet in the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Over medium heat on the stovetop, heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter and sauté each cutlet for three minutes a side. Remove from the heat and place the chicken in the glass dish on top of the spinach, squash and zucchini.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Meanwhile in a separate pot on the stove top, melt the butter, and add the flour and stir for a minute until well incorporated. Then add the milk until creamy to create a roux. Add the cheese and stir to melt. Add more milk if necessary to thin the cheese sauce. Simmer slowly on the stovetop until the chicken and vegetables are ready.
- Once the spinach is wilted and the zucchini and squash have softened pour the cheese sauce over the chicken. Serve immediately.