Serve up this easy cheesy chicken with zucchini, spinach and squash using garden vegetables in under 30 minutes. Everyone will love it!
This Cheesy Chicken with Zucchini & Squash is a snap to cook up in and is a perfect dinner for a mid week meal.
I am always looking for a new way to cook up chicken because chicken can get boring. This recipe is by no means boring. In fact, it’s delicious cheesy and full of flavor.
I am always looking for way to add fresh vegetables to the meals I make. I can always count of there being fresh spinach, zucchini and squash in my fridge.
How to make Cheesy Chicken with Zucchini and Squash
First, brown boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet on the stove top until they are cooked through. Remove them to a platter. Next add the vegetables to the hot pan. Chop up the zucchini and squash and toss into the pan along with a handful of fresh spinach and saute until the spinach has wilted and the squash has softened.
Sometimes I like to simply brown the chicken and sometimes I’ll coat the chicken in panko breakcrumbs first. Either way is delicious.
What makes this recipe so tasty is the creamy cheese sauce I poured over the entire dish. It adds so much flavor to the chicken as well as the fresh vegetables.
I love a simple cheddar cheese sauce but sometimes love to spice things up by adding a hot pepper cheese blend instead.
What vegetables can I substitute for zucchini and squash
If these garden veggies aren’t your favorites, don’t despair. This recipe is ideal for substitutions if you have other veggie favorites.
Asparagus. This green veggie is available all season and tastes delicious paired with chicken.
Mushrooms. Saute mushrooms with spinach or asparagus for an easy substitution.
Broccoli. Yes…this healthy green veggie is always delicious paired with a cheesy sauce. Just steam the broccoli first.
Cauliflower. Trying to eat your veggies? This steamed favorite is always welcome on my plate.
Looking for more ways to cook up a plain piece of chicken.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Cheesy Chicken with Zucchini, Spinach and Squash
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup squash, sliced
- 1/2 cup zucchini, sliced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Kosher salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Chop the squash and zucchini into bit sized pieces. Set aside.
- Dredge each chicken breast in flour or use bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Over medium heat on the stovetop, heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter and sauté each chicken breast for 5 minutes a side. Remove the chicken to a platter.
- While the pan is hot, add the vegetables and saute until the spinach begins to wilt and the zucchini and squash soften. Transfer to the platter with the chicken.
- Next melt the remaining butter in the hot pan and add the 2 tablespoons of flour and stir for a minute until well incorporated. Then add the milk until creamy to create a roux. Add the cheese and stir to melt. Add more milk in small amounts if necessary to thin the cheese sauce to your preference. Simmer slowly on the stovetop.
- Add the chicken and vegetables back to the pan and serve with plenty of the sauce.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Sharing easy recipes to help you be more confident in the kitchen.
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!