Take the work out of making pancakes on a Saturday morning with this super easy iron skillet apple pancake.
Just add syrup!
With this sweet and moist baked apple pancake they’ll be no more waiting to flip the flap jacks.
It’s as easy as cooking the apples and pouring the batter on top and letting the oven do the work.
Made similarly to Dutch apple pancakes or a German pancake, this oven pancake is something the whole family can enjoy.
All that needed to make this puffy pancake is a few simple ingredients from the grocery store.
Ingredients for the Skillet Apple Pancake
Baking powder and baking soda
White and brown sugar.
How to make a this Apple Pancake Skillet
- Slice the apples into thin wedges.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients to make the pancake batter.
- Preheat the oven and prepare the apples on medium heat on the stove top by sauteeing them is an ovenproof skillet until they are tender.
- Pour the batter over the apple and place skillet into a hot oven for 10-12 minutes and bake until the pancake is golden brown on top.
- Remove the hot pan from the oven and slice into individual pieces.
- Top with maple syrup and powdered sugar.
The full recipe card for this delicious recipe is below.
I’ve made the pancake batter from scratch but I’ve also used box pancake mix for this recipe.
If you use store-bought simply follow the directions on the back of the box to make 4 to 6 servings.
That’s usually one cup of pancake mix.
I love Granny Smith apples in this breakfast dish because they’re tart and sweet and hold up well.
I do think the more apples in this delicious pancake recipe the better.
So load up on fresh apples!
This is a great breakfast for weekend and holiday mornings because you can stick it in the oven and it’s done in no time.
It can also stay in a warm oven till you’re ready to eat it.
So put the spatula away and forget about flipping the flap jacks.
This easy iron skillet apple pancake is the way to go.
More Delicious Apple Recipes
- How to Make Cheese Quesadillas with Apples and Bacon
- Apple Strawberry Galette
- Apple Pie Pancake Casserole
- Easy Apple Galette Recipe
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bake
- Warm Apple Bake
- Honeycrisp Apple Crisp (Honeycrisp Apple Recipe)
Easy Upside Down Baked Apple Skillet Pancake
- 2-3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 420°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and granulated sugar.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl with a electric hand mixer on low speed, and add the milk and blend well.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. Let the batter rest while preparing the apples.
- On the stove top, heat a cast iron pan on medium heat and melt butter in the hot skillet. Add the thinly sliced apples to the bottom of the pan and sprinkle the cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg on top of the apples.
- Cook the apple slices for 4 to 5 minutes until tender. Once the apple slices are tender pour batter over the apples and place the entire cast iron skillet in the middle center of oven and cook for 10 to 12 minutes until the top of the pancake is golden brown.
- Remove the ovenproof skillet from the hot stove.Be aware the cast-iron skillet will be very hot. Use oven mitts!
- Transfer skillet to a cooling rack or the stovetop.
- Sprinkle the top of the apple-filled pancake with powdered sugar and slice the pancake into pie sized servings and serve apple side up with maple syrup.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!