This couscous with grilled vegetables includes zucchini, squash, asparagus, red peppers and eggplant and is mixed with lemon and goat cheese for delicious flavor.
It’s such a treat when we get invited to dinner next door. My neighbor Julie has a treasure trove of Mediterranean recipes handed down through her husband’s side of the family.
She has shared many of her family dishes with me and my family. And we are thankful and grateful.
She uses lemon in many of her recipes as well as feta or goat cheese.
Mediterranean couscous is really a pasta but it’s cooked and served like rice. (It’s pronounced koose-koose.)
It’s light and fluffy texture goes perfectly with roasted vegetables off the grill. Pair it with the classic Mediterranean flavors of lemon and goat cheese and you have a delicious, healthy side dish that can serve a crowd.
I promise it will not disappoint.
Mix it up. Use any summer vegetables including zucchini, squash, asparagus, red peppers and eggplant.
Roast them or grill them it does not matter. And use fresh lemon juice because it wakes up the flavor of the grilled vegetables.
Be sure to save the leftovers. This Couscous with Grilled Vegetables salad is delicious cold.
Couscous with Grilled Vegetables, Lemon & Goat Cheese
- 1 10-ounce box Near East couscous
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 squash, sliced
- 1 sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the grill to medium heat or preheat your oven to 450°F. Toss the zucchini, squash, bell pepper, sweet onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast or grill the vegetables until they are caramelized, about 10 to 20 minutes. Once slightly charred remove them to cool.
- Prepare the couscous according to package directions. Add the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the crumbled goat cheese to a large bowl and stir to mix. Add the grilled vegetables, tomatoes and couscous to the bowl and stir to incorporate.