Oven baked bacon and mushroom risotto is the best way to make creamy risotto. It eliminates the necessary stirring and the result is just as delicious.
I’m a big fan of this bacon mushroom risotto recipe.
I love the chewy texture of this creamy rice and paired with bacon and fresh mushrooms, this side dish pairs beautifully with anything off the grill.
I don’t know about you but this summer we are doing a lot of grilling.
Finding sides to go with our main course is the challenge.
This oven baked bacon and mushroom risotto recipe hits the spot.
But who wants to stay put stirring the pot as traditional risotto requires? Not me.
That’s why this recipe is perfect. You can step away from the stove and wait for your oven to do all the work.
What can I add to oven baked risotto to make it taste better?
Everything is better with bacon. And this oven baked risotto is no exception.
The pairing of smoky hardwood bacon with the woodsy, earthy mushrooms completely transforms this delicious side dish.
It’s the perfect complement to any grilled meat, chicken or seafood and is easy to reheat the next day if you wish to make it ahead of time.
Traditional risotto cooked on the stove top requires attention.
Liquid is added in increments as the rice absorbs and thickens.
And constant stirring and staying close to the stove is necessary throughout.
How to make risotto the easy way
Baked risotto is the answer. It eliminates the necessary stirring and the result is just as delicious.
In this easy recipe, the flavors mix together beautifully.
Adding a small amount of white wine adds to the complexity of the flavors.
Delicious with salty bacon and white mushrooms, risotto is also tasty with grilled vegetables, grilled chicken or sausage or a variety of fresh herbs.
It makes a perfect weeknight meal served along side one of your favorite green salads.
Just use your imagination and follow the step by step instructions below in the recipe card.
What main dish goes well with oven baked risotto
Easy Oven Baked Risotto with Bacon & Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups warm water
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 6 slices bacon, chopped and fried
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large pot on medium heat, fry the chopped bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Remove the bacon grease from the pan with paper towels. Add the olive oil and onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the rice and stir with a slotted spoon for a minute.
- Pour in the wine and mix until the the wine has been absorbed by the rice. Season with freshly ground pepper and stir in the water and chicken broth.
- Transfer the rice mixture to a ovenproof dish and place in the hot oven. Add the mushrooms and butter to the pot and cook until soft. Stir in the cooked bacon and fresh thyme.
- Transfer the mushrooms and crispy bacon to the casserole dish and stir the risotto to incorporate.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake the risotto until the liquid has been absorbed and the risotto has a creamy consistency, for a total of 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the risotto and serve. Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!