Grilled spicy shrimp skewers on the barbecue are the perfect midweek meal when you’re looking for easy, healthy and light.
[Updated June 2018] Toss peeled and deveined raw shrimp with my basic barbecue rub and thread them on skewers before placing them on the grill.
Grilled shrimp is a classic summer meal that is easy to make and simply delicious.
This recipe reminds me of summers at the beach. And it’s so easy to make in under 30 minutes.
How long does it take to barbecue spicy grilled shrimp skewers?
Shrimp skewers take just minutes to grill before they’re ready to be served. They are the perfect choice for a summer barbecue. They are so easy to make because they only require three primary ingredients.
Ingredients for spicy grilled shrimp
Shrimp. Buy the shrimp fresh if you can. They taste best and better than previously frozen.
Barbecue rub. Any store bought rub will work but why not make up a big batch of homemade rub to use on chicken, shrimp and more. Click the photo below for the recipe.
Olive Oil. Extra virgin olive oil is the ideal coating for these shrimp.
What seasoning to use on spicy grilled shrimp?
I love to use a homemade sweet and spicy barbecue rub that is perfect on beer can chicken, ribs and more.
The seasoning is a mixture of brown sugar, sweet paprika, onion and garlic powder and Kosher salt.
I make enough to last several months.
Click on the picture above for the recipe!
Prefer a sweeter shrimp kebab recipe?
Be sure to check out my mint & honey Hawaiian shrimp skewers… a favorite that has been featured on the Whole Foods website.
If you like it hot then stick to this recipe!
Want to try this Shrimp Skewer Recipe?
Pin it to your Summer or Seafood board to save for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!
Spicy Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon basic barbecue rub
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cocktail sauce
- Wooden skewers
- Fresh lime wedges
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Pat dry the shrimp with a paper towel. Drizzle with about a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Toss the raw shrimp with the basic barbecue rub so all the shrimp is well coated.
- Thread the shrimp on skewers in one direction making sure to thread the skewer through two parts of the shrimp.
- You can also use two skewers, threading one skewer through the heads of the shrimp and the other skewer through the tails.
- Grill on each side until pink for a total of 3 to 5 minutes time. Serve with lime wedges and cocktail sauce.