My strawberry whole wheat scone recipe are drizzled with a sweet lemon glaze that will have you coming back guilt-free for more.
Treat yourself to something delicious this holiday season featuring whole grain goodness, fresh sweet strawberries and tangy lemon peel.
A good scone can be flaky or a cake-like scone. These are a wonderful combination of both qualities.
Plus they include the sweet taste of strawberries.
But fresh blueberries or chocolate chips would like a delicious alternative.
I decided to make these warm scones with strawberries because I always have this fruit in my fridge.
We eat strawberries year round and they’re great alone or in just about everything.
With the holidays approaching I thought a healthy, sweet and tangy baked treat was in order.
Scones are a type of cake or quick bread typically made with cold cut butter, whole-grain flour and baking powder.
Lightly sweetened scones are tender and moist on the inside, crispy on the outside, cut into squares or triangles and served warm.
I’ve topped mine with a sweet lemon glaze because we like it sweet in my house.
These hot scones are delicious for dessert and even as healthy breakfasts go.
So skip the coffee shop, satisfy your sweet tooth and whip up your own homemade scones.
Wouldn’t this whole wheat scone recipe with a lemon glaze make the perfect homemade gift for the foodie in your life?
How to make a whole wheat scone recipe with fresh fruit
Gather the pantry staples for this recipe. You will also need a few ingredients like ricotta cheese, whipping cream, lemons and strawberries from the grocery store.
In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients as well as the lemon zest. Next, add the butter to the dry mixture. Fold in the strawberries.
In a medium bowl mix together the wet ingredients then add to the dry until blended.
Roll dough onto a floured work surface and shape into inch thick rectangles or circles.
Transfer each scone to a prepared baking sheet and sprinkle coconut sugar over the tops of the scones.
Bake in a 425 F oven for 15 minutes. Once cooled place scones on a platter and drizzle with the lemon glaze.
Serve these desserts alongside this whole wheat scone recipe
Strawberry Whole Wheat Scone Recipe with a Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup all purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup coconut or turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup of strawberries, chopped
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon confectioner sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a large bowl mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Add the cold butter to the flour mixture after using a pastry butter cutter, a box grater or a knife to chop the cold butter into pea sized portions. I use a box grater and "shred" the cold butter like I would any vegetable. Mix it into the dry ingredients. Next, gently fold in the chopped strawberries. Add the egg, whipping cream and ricotta and mix until just blended.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour onto a wooden board and add the batter on top. Sprinkle a spoonful of flour on top of the dough using your hands and form it into an inch-thick circle or rectangle. Use a knife to cut your shape into triangles or squares and using a spatula transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle coconut sugar on top of each scone and bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned. While the scones are baking prepare the glaze by mixing together in a small bowl one tablespoon of confectioner sugar and the juice from one lemon. Mix well. Allow the scones to cool before drizzling with the glaze.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!