Leftover prime filet mignon from a tenderloin dinner is transformed into a hearty and rich beef barley soup that is steakhouse worthy.
Tender celery, sweet carrots, savory mushrooms and fresh Campari tomatoes are simmered with the tail of a beef tenderloin and whole-grain barley.
What’s great about this recipe is that because it uses a tender cut of beef, this soup can be made in about an hour.
No need to stew or simmer slowly all day waiting for the beef to tenderize.
It’s melt in your mouth delicious with a hint of nuttiness. Barley is high in fiber and it’s a healthy choice for this meaty and hearty soup.
This recipe was given to me by my neighbor, Julie. She always steps it up a notch. Making best use of a whole beef tenderloin, this soup was calling for the best cut of meat and freshest veggies. And what a difference it makes.
This soup is perfect for a snowy Ohio evening.
Beef Barley Soup with Filet Mignon
- 1 pound filet mignon, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 beef bouillon gel pack
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 4 Campari tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, sauté the beef in the olive oil for 5 minutes. Set the meat aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots to the pot and sauté until tender about 5-7 minutes. Next, add the mushrooms and thyme until the mushrooms render their juice and begin to brown. Stir in the tomatoes, beef and chicken broths, water, barley, and salt and pepper. Return the filet to the pot and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Simmer on low heat for 45 minutes before serving.
12 thoughts on “Beef Barley Soup with Filet Mignon”
this soup looks positively perfect for cold winter evenings!
and delicious too Heather. Thanks:)
This is one of my favorite soups ever! It looks fantastic!
Thank you Marye:)
This is one of my all time favorite soups! With 4 kids and a hungry husband we never seem to have any leftover filet minot (also my favorite!! 😉 but I do have some leftover barley from tonights pilaf!! Looks like I need to go buy some filet mignon, it’s a sign!
Thanks Gwen…it is really tasty with filet if you have it leftover. I understand having hungry kids all the time. Time to stock up:)
When do I put the tomatoes in?!
Thanks for catching this Laura. Add the tomatoes in with the beef filet. Hope you enjoy it!
This looks so delicious. And your photos are divine. 🙂
Oh, I can imagine how exquisite the flavor of this soup must be! I LOVE barley soups and this one looks like a total winner!
The flavor is fantastic like nothing you’ve tasted before. Yum! Thanks Kimberly.