These skillet roasted chicken breasts are pan seared quickly and then slow roasted and the result is dinner that is juicy, succulent and falls off the bone.
Tired of boring old chicken?
Not this recipe!
The chicken is nestled in a cast iron skillet in a flavorful white wine sauce and paired with honey gold bite-size potatoes and tender carrots. Doesn’t that sound delicious?
It’s that good. The carrots are sweet yet crisp and the potatoes, buttery and soft.
This dinner pulls together easily. I usually always have a pack of chicken in my fridge.
And carrots are always in the vegetable bin with two growing teens in my family.
I always have potatoes on hand whether they are russet or individual bite-size potatoes.
Really any kind of vegetable would work well in this dish. Asparagus, sweet peppers or any root vegetable would be delicious. Butternut squash would be fabulous!
This skillet dinner is an easy dinner for two and easy to pull together for a midweek meal.
Cast Iron Skillet Roasted Chicken Breasts with Carrots & Potatoes
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, skin-on, bone in
- 1/4 cup flour, reserving 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 carrots, peeled
- 10-12 honey gold one bite potatoes
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the flour and Herbs de Provence. Dredge both sides of each chicken breast in the flour mixture and set aside.
- Using a cast iron skillet over medium heat sauté the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon bits from the skillet using a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Transfer the chicken to the cast-iron skillet and brown each side in the bacon grease until golden brown, about 4 minutes a side.
- Transfer the chicken from the skillet to a plate and add a tablespoon of the reserved flour and mix well. Next, add the white wine and chicken broth slowly scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer the sauce until it begins to thicken slightly.
- Return the chicken breasts and bacon to the skillet and add the carrots and potatoes as well. Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.