My Celtic Apple Crisp is made with honeycrisp apples and a buttery brown sugar oatmeal crumble topping and topped with a honey whiskey whipped cream.
St. Patrick’s Day is next week and when you live in Dublin, Ohio you kind of have to celebrate or at least raise your glass on March 17.
There’s no better way to celebrate the holiday than with whiskey. The Irish drink it and cook with it. So there’s no reason why we can’t do the same.
I’ve added whiskey to this Apple Crisp to make it shamrockin’ and topped it with a honey whiskey whipped cream.
Don’t you want to sink your fork into this dessert?
I turned my family favorite apple crisp recipe into a grown-up version by simmering the apples in a little honey whiskey to add a little punch to this typically Irish dessert.
Then I added more whiskey to the whipped cream. It was grand!
Now while any whiskey will work for this recipe, Irish or otherwise, I wanted a sweetened variety.
And I had a little Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey Whiskey in my liquor cabinet. That’ll do!
How to make celtic apple crisp from scratch?
My apple crisp is made with honeycrisp apples and a buttery brown sugar oatmeal crumble topping.
It’s a simple recipe and adding the whiskey imparts a wonderful flavor.
This recipe takes three steps and you’ll need a few key items from the grocery.
The apples: My favorite kind of apples are honeycrisp apples. They are sweet and tart and perfect for this apple crisp! You’ll want to peel and slice the apples into wedges or slices.
The crisp: Mix together butter, flour, sugar and oat to make this crisp topping.
The whipped topping: You’ll need honey, whiskey and whipping cream to make this adult version recipe.
Did you know that the apple tree is considered a sacred tree in Irish mythology and folklore.
It’s a symbol of fruitfulness and immortality. I love learning something new!
I promise you will love this recipe. Also be sure to check out the kid friendly apple crisp recipe as well.
How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?
Apple Crisp with Honey Whiskey Whipped Cream
- 4 large honeycrisp apples, peeled and sliced into cubes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- Peel, core and chop the honeycrisp apples into 1-inch cubes. Place the apples, cinnamon, whiskey and water in a bowl and toss. Then place the apples into a prepared 11 x 7 inch pan.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar, flour, oats and melted butter and mix until crumbly and well blended. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the apples.
- Place the pan in a preheated 350° oven and bake for 45 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Whip the heavy cream on high speed until soft peaks form. Dissolve the honey in the whiskey stirring to incorporate. Add the honey flavored whiskey to the whipped cream in the final minutes of whipping.
- Once the apple crisp has cooled serve it with the whipped cream.