This Charleston Style Shrimp and Grits features pink and tender shrimp, creamy and cheesy course grits and spicy andouille sausage.
Serve up a plate of comfort in true southern style with these Charleston Style Shrimp & Grits. No quick grits here!
It’s cold in Ohio, at 10 degrees and steady.
At least Ohio misses out on the blizzard that is rocking the east coast. This snowy weather is the perfect reason to get cooking in the kitchen.
So why is it called Charleston style?
For this recipe, it’s because of the creamy and cheesy course grits and the addition of spicy andouille sausage to the recipe. Also, this creamy dish also features a colorful blend of sweet bell peppers.
It will warm your belly.
Serve this recipe up on a cold winter’s day. It’s perfect comfort food.
To make this recipe you will need these ingredients:
How to make Charleston style shrimp and grits:
What to serve with shrimp and grits?
Charleston Style Shrimp & Grits
- 1/2 cup coarse ground grits
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- A sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound smoked andouille sausage, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare the grits in a pot over medium heat. Mix the grits, water, salt, cream and milk and simmer until thickened for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet cook the onion, peppers and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the diced andouille sausage and cook for a 5 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan melt the butter over low heat. Add the flour to make a roux stirring for five minutes to incorporate. Add the butter flour mixture to the large skillet. Next, add the shrimp, Worcestershire sauce and slowly add in the chicken broth stirring until the sauce thickens and the shrimp turns pink, about 7 minutes.
- Add the cheddar cheese to the grits and stir until melted and creamy. Serve the shrimp mixture over the cheese grits.