My Slow Cooked Chicken Stew Vegetable Medley is chock-full of vegetables, low in salt and high in protein. This soup is the best way to warm up this winter.
Need a hearty dinner that’s chock-full of vegetables, low in salt and high in protein and is the perfect recipe that pretty much cooks itself?
My Slow Cooked Chicken Stew Vegetable Medley is the answer.
Tender shredded chicken has been slow cooked in this one pot dish that is paired with a medley of vegetables.
For this recipe I took a peek into the vegetable bin and grabbed what I had. I tossed in button mushrooms, a red bell pepper, sweet carrots and a few potatoes.
I used a low salt chicken broth and a can of fire roasted tomatoes and slow simmered the chicken breasts until they were fork tender and easy to shred off the bone.
This recipe is similar to my Chicken Stew recipe but it features potatoes instead of beans.
It’s an easy recipe to make any day of the week. Grab a loaf of french bread to serve with it and enjoy!
Slow Cooked Chicken Stew Vegetable Medley
- 2 chicken breasts, bone in and skin on bone in and skin on
- 1 14- ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- In a soup pot over medium heat sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until the onion softens. Add the bell pepper, carrots and mushrooms and cook until caramelized.
- Stir in the tomatoes, potatoes and chicken broth. Submerge the chicken breasts skin side down into the liquid. Add the bay leaves and simmer for an hour or until the chicken pulls easily off the bone.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot, peel off the skin and shred the meat off the bone. Return the shredded chicken to the pot. Continue to simmer the stew covered for an additional 15 minutes before serving.