An apple strawberry galette is a sweet and delicious dessert that is perfect anytime.
Soft baked apples paired with sugared strawberries on a flaky crust makes a delicious treat. You just need some vanilla ice cream and it’s ready to serve.
This recipe can be made in about an hour using refrigerated piecrust or pastry dough.
Easier to make than a pie, this galette is rustic looking and just so pretty on a dining table.
Just pile the fruit on top of the prepared dough and fold the edges over the filling and pop this baby into the oven.
This recipe is similar to my Rustic Apple Galette made with all apples except this includes juicy red strawberries and I love this easy dessert for an easy summer evening.
Ingredients to make an apple strawberry galette
- Apples. Honeycrisp apples or Granny Smith are my go-to for this recipe.
- Strawberries. Choose firm small to medium sized strawberries.
- Lemon. A squeeze of fresh lemon juice keeps the apples from browning and adds to the taste of the fruit.
- Pie crust. Pick up a refrigerated crust and save yourself the chore of making it from scratch.
- Sugar. Flour. Butter. Pantry staples.
- Egg. You’ll want to brush the edge of the crust with a beaten egg to give your galette a shiny and flaky taste.
How do I keep the galette from becoming soggy?
To keep the crust from becoming soggy, dust the crust with flour before adding the apples and strawberries. Flour will help keep the crust stay firm and crispy.
How do I shape a galette?
A galette is simply a free form tart. To shape, you’ll simply fold sections of the crust edge up over the fruit filing pleating as you go. You can fold a little or a lot. I typically opt for about 2 inches of crust.
Can I make a galette ahead of time?
You can prepare the galette ahead of time so that it’s ready to serve later at room temperature. I like to make this dessert in the morning so I don’t have to worry about dessert when the guests arrive.
Is an apple strawberry galette a pie?
A galette is similar to a pie. It’s a pastry dough wrapped around a fruit filling, such as apples and strawberries. No pie pan necessary. It’s the best of two desserts!
Love Strawberries? Try these delicious recipes.
- Ricotta Crostini with Balsamic Strawberries
- Red White and Blue Berry Trifles
- Strawberry Watermelon Popsicles
- Strawberry Ice Box Cake (No Bake Dessert)
BE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE MONTHLY NEWSLETTER TO GET THE BEST RECIPES IN YOUR MAILBOX FOR THE SEASON – SIGN UP HERE
Apple Strawberry Galette
- 1 refrigerated piecrust or pastry dough
- 2 honeycrisp apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cold butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Prepare a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Lay out the pie crust on top of the parchment paper.
- Place the sliced apples in a bowl. Squeeze the juice from half a lemon over the apple slices and toss to mix. Next, sprinkle one tablespoon of flour over the center of the piecrust and layer the apple slices on top overlapping slightly. Sprinkle the apples with one tablespoon of sugar.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the strawberries with the second tablespoon of sugar and toss to coat. Layer the berries on top of the apples and dot the berries with cold butter cutting the butter into small pieces.
- Fold up the edges of the piecrust over the apples and berries overlapping the crust as you go and leaving the center exposed. Brush the beaten egg wash on the crust and sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar over the crust and bake the galette for 20 minutes or until the edges become golden brown.
- Remove the galette from the oven and allow it to cool. Serve the dessert with vanilla ice cream.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!