Don’t you love it when a recipe just falls together? These baked buffalo chicken nachos came about accidentally. And let me tell you, these were Nacho Ordinary Nachos.
But they are now a keeper and will definitely headline any tailgate party, post game or Mexican fiesta.
My son played a doubleheader baseball game and I had not planned ahead as to what we would eat when we got home. Have you ever had one of those nights?
We got home at the end of the day and I looked in the fridge and realized I had a plate of cooked chicken from the night before and a bag of tortilla chips in the pantry. We had had a late lunch between games so we weren’t too hungry. We just wanted an appetizer or snack to munch on.
We are big fans of buffalo chicken in this house and always have a bottle of sauce in reserve for game day all fall long.
While nachos made with ground beef is the traditional way to serve up this Mexican appetizer, it is also delicious served with spicy chicken.
Lucky for me we had buffalo wing sauce, tomatoes, lettuce and sour cream in the fridge.
How should I bake the nachos?
I used a cast-iron skillet to layer tortilla chips and cheese and warmed it up in the oven. I have a husband who doesn’t care so much for black beans but beans would add great flavor to this recipe.
Now the cast-iron skillet really helped keep the nachos warm for a good half an hour after pulling them from the oven. While I’ve made nachos on a sheet pan before, a cast-iron skillet is a great way to keep everything hot.
Feel free to experiment with different heat levels of buffalo wing sauce. My kids like the milder flavors and also a drizzle of ranch dressing instead of sour cream.
I also think adding diced celery and blue cheese dressing would also be tasty.
These nachos were a hit and my husband thinks they’ll become a game day favorite. What do you think?
I think he’s right!
WANT TO TRY THESE BAKED BUFFALO CHICKEN NACHOS?
PIN THEM TO YOUR APPETIZER OR GAME DAY BOARD TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Baked Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- 1/2 bag tortilla chips
- 1 cup chopped chicken, cooked
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red onion, optional
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a small bowl mix together the chopped chicken and buffalo wing sauce and mix until completely coated.
- Fill the bottom of a cast-iron skillet with at least half a bag of tortilla chips. Layer the chicken on top and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and red onion. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheddar cheese has melted.
- Remove the cast-iron skillet from the oven and sprinkle on the chopped lettuce and tomatoes. Add a dollop of sour cream to the center of the nachos and serve hot.