Tired of burgers for dinner? Enjoy summer’s tomato bounty with this tasty and juicy balsamic grilled caprese chicken.
This easy dinner is a simple variation of my Tomato Caprese recipe. Just add balsamic marinated grilled chicken and you have your main meal and side all rolled into one!
My family typically eats tomatoes all summer long.
My favorite way to enjoy this easy side dish is by topping tomato slices with fresh mozzarella cheese, fragrant basil leaves and drizzling the entire platter with olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar.
Do you grow your own tomatoes? I grow my own tomatoes during the summer months because homegrown has so much more flavor than anything you can buy in the grocery store.
I also grow my own basil. It’s available in the pot anytime I need a few leaves.
I’m a big fan of container gardening. I like to mix it up with flowers, veggies and herbs. In the summer, I typically grow rosemary, cilantro, basil and thyme.
I use a single pot for mint because it grows crazy otherwise. Peppers, tomatoes and eggplant are easy to grow in pots.
Sprinkle in a few flowers and you’ve got the perfect container garden.
But back to the recipe. This grilled chicken caprese recipe topped with fresh mozzarella and basil is perfect for summer barbecues.
And I promise it will quickly become a family favorite and go-to recipe because it’s on the table in under 30 minutes.
How should I cook the caprese chicken?
Grilled boneless, skinless chicken is best but if it’s raining or you don’t have a grill then cast iron chicken breast is the answer. Pull out the cast iron skillet. This cooks up easily inside too.
Let the chicken soak up the balsamic marinade for a few hours before grilling. Throw on some fresh mozzarella cheese until just melted. Slice up some ripe red tomatoes and top the chicken with it and that fragrant basil from the garden.
A little drizzle of balsamic glaze and dinner is served. This recipe couldn’t be easier. And oh so flavorful!
Doesn’t this picture make you want to just dig in?
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Balsamic glaze
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Combine the marinade ingredients together and pour over the chicken breasts. Allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Prepare the grill to medium heat. Grill the chicken breasts for 4 minutes on one side. After flipping the chicken, add two slices of mozzarella cheese and top with two slices of tomato and grill for 4 minutes longer. (Thick chicken breasts may require 2-3 minutes longer grilling time.)
- Remove the chicken from the grill once it's done cooking. Add a pinch of fresh basil and drizzle each chicken breast with the balsamic glaze.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!
Get the tools for the recipe