Ricotta Crostini with balsamic strawberries are drizzled with balsamic vinegar and makes for an elegant and delicious appetizer.
Need an easy appetizer to take with you to a summer barbecue or get together?
My balsamic strawberry toasted crostini with ricotta cheese & fresh basil is the perfect choice.
Fresh strawberries are in season and what better way to use them than tossed in a little balsamic vinegar and served on top of toasted French bread with a honey-flavored ricotta cheese and fresh basil from the garden.
This recipe is simple to make and your guests will polish them off. Sweet red strawberries take on an even sweeter taste when marinated in an aged balsamic vinegar.
Using vinegar may sound strange, but it’s actually a strawberry’s best friend.
What does ricotta cheese taste like?
Ricotta cheese is light and creamy and low in fat. It is typically used in lasagnas or ravioli dishes but is also delicious in desserts and appetizers. It’s a perfect replacement for mascarpone cheese and ideal for this recipe.
I drizzled on some local honey I picked up at the farmer’s market and added fresh cracked pepper. Then I spoon it onto crusty crostini slices. Lastly, I topped it with balsamic strawberries and fresh basil.
I took a plate of these ricotta crostini to a Kentucky Derby party and they were a hit. They are the perfect finger food toasts and an ideal bite-size portions. One loaf makes plenty.
This recipe would also be delicious with raspberries or blackberries.
Balsamic strawberries are delicious served on top of yogurt or pound cake and make for an elegant dessert or appetizer.
Love these ricotta crostini? Try these appetizers!
- Peach Crostini with Whipped Honey Ricotta
- Melon and Prosciutto Skewers with Pecorino Romano
- Chorizo & Manchego Stuffed Mushrooms
- PF Changs Lettuce Wraps (Copycat)
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Ricotta Crostini with Balsamic Strawberries
- 1 loaf French bread
- Olive oil
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 pound strawberries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Adjust the oven racks and preheat the broiler to 500°F. Slice the French bread into 1/4 inch slices. Brush olive oil using a pastry brush to one side of the bread. Broil for 5 minutes watching closely to make sure the bread doesn’t brown too quickly. Once browned remove the bread from the oven and transfer to a platter.
- In a small bowl mix together the ricotta cheese, honey and fresh cracked pepper. In a separate bowl, allow the strawberries and balsamic vinegar to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Top each slice of French bread with a spoonful of the ricotta cheese mixture and top with strawberries and chopped basil. Serve immediately.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!