Who says you need a grill to make mouth-watering burgers? With my easy recipe, you can enjoy juicy, flavorful burgers anytime of the year – right in your own kitchen!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read our disclosure policy.
Whether you’re craving classic cheeseburgers or something a little more adventurous, I’ve got you covered.
So grab your skillet and get ready to take your burger game to the next level!
There is nothing like sinking your teeth into a perfect burger, whether a delicious hamburger, chicken or turkey burger.
While we like to throw our burgers on the grill over an open flame on hot summer days, it’s handy having an alternative method to making homemade burgers that are just as delicious and juicy.
- Why should I use a cast iron skillet?
- What meat should I use to make juicy burgers?
- How can I make my chicken and turkey burgers juicy?
- Should I add butter or oil to the cast iron skillet?
- Tips to make the juiciest cast iron burgers
- How to make delicious burgers
- Toppings for the best burgers
- What to serve with burgers
- How to Make the Best Juicy Cast Iron Skillet Burgers
Why should I use a cast iron skillet?
Cast iron skillets are great for cooking burgers because they heat quickly and stay very hot which is key to making the best burger.
Cast iron skillet cooking is also a great way to cook burgers because the frying pan has a very durable and heat-resistant surface.
What meat should I use to make juicy burgers?
The best ground meat to use for burgers is ground beef with a higher fat content like ground chuck or ground sirloin.
The fat content will help keep the burgers juicy and flavorful.
You can also use a combination of different meats like beef and pork or beef and lamb to add more flavor to your burgers.
Both chicken and turkey are also great options for burgers.
Chicken burgers might have one advantage over turkey and that is the juiciness of meat.
Turkey is a much leaner meat than most others and therefore, turkey burgers tend to be dry.
However, ground turkey has less saturated fat than lean ground beef.
How can I make my chicken and turkey burgers juicy?
No one one likes dry burgers!
There are several ways to make chicken or turkey burgers juicy.
One way is to add seasoned breadcrumbs and an egg or liquid such as milk, buttermilk or yogurt.
Another way is to add fresh vegetables like chopped spinach or mushrooms or grated zucchini, onion or garlic which will add moisture to the meat.
You can also add some grated cheese which will melt and keep the burgers moist.
Adding fresh herbs to your burger is also a healthy flavor booster.
Should I add butter or oil to the cast iron skillet?
You can use a small amount of butter to cook your burger in a hot skillet. This will help prevent the meat from sticking to the bottom of the pan. You can also brush the bottom of the cast-iron skillet with olive oil if you prefer. Just wipe out what little oil is left with paper towels before making the burgers.
Tips to make the juiciest cast iron burgers
- Use quality beef with a higher fat content like ground chuck or ground sirloin. Make sure it is at least 15% fat.
- Make sure the cast iron skillet is well seasoned. Look for rust spots or spots that need more oil. If your cast iron needs a little love, re-season it before cooking using a light rubbing of olive oil.
- Don’t overwork the meat when forming the patties.
- Season the patties generously with kosher salt and pepper just before cooking.
- Preheat the skillet over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes before placing the patties into the pan.
- Cook the hamburgers in the cast iron skillet for 4 minutes on each side, turning only once.
- Don’t press down on the burger patty while it’s cooking as this will release the juices.
- If you want a slice of cheese on your burger, add it during the last minute of cooking.
- Let the burgers rest for a few minutes before serving so that the juices can redistribute.
Pick up these simple ingredients from the grocery store.
Meat of your choice. Follow the recipe card below for cast iron skillet cheeseburgers or check out this recipe for turkey or chicken burgers.
Worcestershire sauce. This condiment adds wonderful flavor to the beef.
Dijon mustard. You’ll add this to the beef as well as possible add as a topping after cooking.
Salt and ground pepper.
Hamburger buns. Choose white, whole grain, sesame seed, potato, pretzel or even English muffins.
Your choice of cheese. My favorite is a Vermont white cheddar cheese as well as American cheese. But give blue cheese, Swiss and Parmesan a try for something different.
How to make delicious burgers
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Form the burgers into 3.5 oz patties and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Place a square of butter in the hot pan and spread around to prevent sticking.
- Place burger patties into the heated pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, turning only once. This is for burgers cooked to medium, if you want them well done, cook for a minute longer on each side.
- Remove from the pan and allow the burgers to rest for a few minutes before serving.
Toppings for the best burgers
There are so many ways you can make a beef, turkey or chicken burger your own delicious creation. Consider these toppings.
- Lettuce, tomato, onion
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Fried egg
- Caramelized onions
- Sweet jams like honey fig or jalapeno honey
You can also try different sauces like ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, buffalo sauce or hot sauce.
What to serve with burgers
There are many side dishes that go well with burgers. Try some of my favorites.
Mac and cheese
How to Make the Best Juicy Cast Iron Skillet Burgers
- 1 Cast Iron Skillet
- 1 Sturdy spatula
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- Slices of cheese
- Hamburger buns
- Toppings of your choice
- Preheat the cast iron skillet to medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce until well combined.
- Divide mixture into four equal portions and shape each into a patty about 3/4 inch thick.
- Cook patties for 4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Top each burger with cheese slices and cover for one minute to allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve on hamburger buns with your favorite toppings.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!