Cajun chicken with lemon and capers is similar to chicken piccata, but this 30-minute dinner pairs a little Cajun heat with the tangy taste of lemon.
I’ve been making this healthy, low-fat dinner for years. It’s one of my husband’s favorite ways to eat chicken.
Similar to chicken piccata, this dish adds a little heat to the coating.
The panko bread crumbs give this dish a crunchy texture and the lemon caper wine sauce compliments it perfectly.
Best part is that this is an easy 30-minute meal when you need a quick dinner the whole family can enjoy.
Enjoy it as a main dish or serve it family style with other delicious entrees.
My kids love chicken prepared this way minus the capers.
I’m working on them. They are come a long way from chicken nuggets and now that they are in their teens, they are much more adventurous than they used to be.
This recipe is pretty simple and perfect for a weeknight meal, even my husband can make this!
What you’ll need to make this great recipe
- Chicken breast halves or chicken cutlets
- Cajun spices or a creole seasoning spice blend
- Panko bread crumbs
- Fresh lemon juice
- White wine
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Kosher salt and black pepper
How to make Cajun chicken with a lemon sauce
Mix together the cajun seasoning and some bread crumbs with a little Creole or Cajun Seasoning.
Next, dredge a few chicken cutlets into the mixture before sauteing them for a couple of minutes in a large skillet until golden brown.
Make the lemon sauce using white wine, capers and fresh lemon juice. Add cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
Add the chicken back to the pan to simmer in the sauce and then plate the chicken.
Place the chicken on a bed of pasta al dente and spoon the lemony sauce over the entire dish.
If you’d prefer rice instead of pasta, the sauce compliments it deliciously.
See the full recipe card below.
What to serve with this Cajun chicken recipe
- ROASTED PROVENCAL VEGETABLES
- PANKO PARMESAN CHICKEN ALFREDO SAUCE
- TOMATO, FRESH MOZZARELLA AND ARUGULA SALAD WITH BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
- AUTUMN PEAR SALAD WITH CITRUS DRESSING
Cajun Chicken in a Lemon Caper Sauce (Easy Recipe)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or cutlets
- 1/2 cup Panko Bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 of a lemon, squeezed and juiced
- 2 tablespoons white cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- In a shallow bowl combine the bread crumbs and Cajun seasoning.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and dip chicken cutlets in the bread crumb mixture until well coated on both sides.
- On the stove top, bring a heavy large nonstick skillet to medium-high heat and add the oil and butter.
- Once the butter is melted and the pan is hot, place chicken cutlets in the pan and brown each side for three minutes or until each side is crispy.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add the fresh lemon juice, wine and capers to the pan juices being sure to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir the cornstarch into the chicken broth and add to the pan.
- Let the sauce simmer on low heat and thicken for a few minutes then add the chicken to the pan. Simmer for one additional minute.
- Serve over spaghetti and spoon sauce over the chicken.
- Save any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!