This easy cheesy bacon chicken casserole is a delicious dish that can be baked in about an hour that will become a family favorite!
If you’re looking for a hearty and satisfying meal that will please everyone at the table, look no further than this delicious cheesy bacon chicken casserole.
This easy recipe combines tender juicy chicken, crispy bacon, creamy cheddar cheese sauce, and crunchy breadcrumbs to create a mouthwatering dish that your whole family will love.
It’s perfect for busy weeknight dinners or a special occasion. This easy dinner is sure to impress.
Read on for step-by-step instructions on how to make this amazing recipe in just a few simple steps.
This cheesy chicken casserole may be the best and easiest dinner to serve for several reasons.
It’s is a one-dish meal that can include protein, carbs, cheese, and veggies, making it balanced and filling.
This dish is easy to prepare with simple ingredients that you may already have in the fridge or pantry or can easily find at the store.
You can customize it with different kinds of cheese, sauces, seasonings and add-ins to suit your taste and preferences.
It is comforting and delicious, as the cheese melts and bubbles over the tender chicken and the crispy bacon adds a smoky flavor and crunch.
And did I mention that it is family-friendly dinner. After all who doesn’t love the combination of chicken, cheese and bacon.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe
Here are the ingredients you’ll need from the grocery store.
- Cooked and shredded chicken. Leftover or rotisserie chicken works as well.
- Cooked and crumbled bacon. Grab a standard pack because you’ll use half of the bacon.
- Cheese (such as cheddar, mozzarella, colby jack, or Monterey jack cheese).
- Cream of chicken soup and sour cream.
- Salt and pepper.
- Potatoes. I grabbed a bag of O’Brien style diced hash brown potatoes which include peppers and onions from the freezer aisle.
- Ritz crackers.
- Optional: vegetables (such as sweet corn, green onion, poblano peppers).
How to make this easy chicken casserole recipe
Preheat the oven and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Chop and cook the chicken (or use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken).
Cook and crumble the bacon (or use pre-cooked bacon bits).
Layer the potatoes in the bottom of the casserole dish, followed by the chicken.
Make the cheesy sauce by mixing together the soup, milk and sour cream.
Add in the shredded cheese, salt and pepper and mix well. Pour over the dish spreading the mixture to the edges of the pan.
Sprinkle crushed crackers, bacon crumbles and more cheese over top and bake until hot and bubbly, about an hour total in the oven.
Get the full recipe card below.
Equipment you’ll need
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read our disclosure policy.
What kind of cheese should I use for the cheese sauce?
The great thing about this recipe is that there is room for variation. You can use mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar.
Or use one cup of cheddar and one cup of Monterrey jack cheese.
Use softened cream cheese or plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
Can I use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon?
Yes! Cut down on fat and calories by using turkey bacon.
Or use pancetta if that is available to you.
How long can I store the casserole in the fridge or freezer?
This casserole can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days and reheated slowly in a 300 degree F oven so the casserole doesn’t dry out.
Or freeze it using an aluminum casserole pan for up to two months.
Can I make the casserole ahead of time and bake it later?
I will often make this great recipe ahead of time to save meal prep time during the work week.
It’s easy to make in a day before and then just bake it when I get home.
What can I serve with the casserole to make a balanced meal?
Easy Cheesy Bacon Chicken Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- 6 -8 slices of bacon chopped
- 1 pound bag of frozen O’Brien style diced potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 16 Ritz crackers crushed
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Spray 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with the frozen diced potatoes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cream of chicken soup, milk, and sour cream. Add in 1.5 cups of shredded cheese and 2 teaspoons ground black pepper and stir until combined.
- Over medium-high heat, cook the chopped bacon in a large skillet for 4-5 minutes until crisp. Remove the bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Leaving 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the pan, cook the chopped chicken for four minutes on medium heat until browned.
- Layer the chicken over the potatoes.
- Pour the cheesy mixture over the chicken, using a spoon to spread it out to the edges of the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the crushed crackers over the top of the casserole dish and bake for 15 minutes or until the crackers begin to turn golden brown.
- Cover the top of the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the remaining cheese and bacon crumbles over the top. Bake for an additional 5 – 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and serve.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!