Tender broccoli is steamed then smothered in a creamy cheddar and Parmesan cheese sauce and topped with buttery Ritz crackers.
Sometimes holiday dinner calls for broccoli instead of green beans.
I’ve made the traditional green bean casserole for many years.
But this holiday season my sister-in-law asked if I would contribute a different green vegetable to the meal.
Plain boiled broccoli can be pretty boring on it’s own.
This broccoli cheese casserole recipe one of our favorite casseroles that is just comfort food at its finest.
I paired fresh broccoli florets with a cheesy creamy sauce and crumbled buttery Ritz crackers over the top of the casserole and it was a hit on the holiday table.
Can broccoli casserole with Ritz crackers be made ahead of time?
Absolutely! Just cover the prepared dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.
This is a perfect side dish to any Christmas dinner, Sunday supper or holiday meal.
Take one more thing off your to-do list this holiday season.
Your entire family will love this delicious side dish!
This great recipe can be made ahead of time and is easy to reheat before meal time.
It’s full of cheesy goodness that even the pickiest eaters will love.
How to make broccoli casserole
My broccoli casserole recipe includes an easy homemade roux using flour and butter rather than canned condensed soup.
It’s healthier with less sodium and it tastes better made from scratch.
I steamed fresh broccoli florets for about four minutes then blanched it in cold water. It’s perfectly cooked this way.
Another option is roasting the broccoli for more intense flavor for about 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
I combined Parmesan and shredded cheddar cheese for the sauce, but any type of cheese can be substituted including gruyere, Swiss or pepper jack.
This casserole can be made gluten-free. Just use your favorite GF flour and omit the cracker topping.
Otherwise, any buttery cracker or bread crumb crunchy topping will do.
My favorite is Ritz. It adds a nice crunch to every bite.
Scroll down to the bottom of this post for the full printable recipe card.
More easy recipes for the holiday table
The Best Broccoli Casserole with Ritz Cracker Topping
- 3 medium heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup fresh shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Steam or boil the broccoli florets for 4 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Using a medium size pot at medium heat, sauté the onions in the butter for 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook until the flour is absorbed and the mixture resembled a paste.
- Slowly adding the milk and whisk to combine. Continue stirring until the mixture becomes smooth and the lumps have disappeared, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the burner and stir in the cheeses until the mixture is melted and creamy.
- Spray the bottom of a casserole dish with cooking spray. Place the steamed broccoli into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Pour the cheese mixture over the broccoli smoothing into the corners.
- Sprinkle the crushed Ritz cracker crumbs over the top of the broccoli casserole and bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!