Summer is the season for sweet cherries. My Cherry Tart Puff Pastry is the perfect dessert that is easy to make and delicious.
We’ve all heard the legend of George Washington chopping down his father’s beloved cherry tree. Yes it’s a myth!
Trust me – if George Washington had tasted these deliciously sweet cherries he would’ve never chopped down his father’ tree. He probably would’ve eaten every cherry off the tree. Yes, they are that good!
There are so many varieties of sweet cherries like Bing, Sweetheart and Rainier. They’re all good and good for you.
Is this Cherry Tart Puff Pastry a healthy dessert?
Yes…this recipe is a great alternative to traditional cherry pie. It’s low in sugar and uses balsamic vinegar to bring out the sweetness of the cherries.
Cherries are high in potassium, melatonin and loaded with antioxidants. And when you gobble down 20 cherries at a time, like I typically do, there’s no guilt. That’s a serving size of less than 100 calories. It’s the perfect snack!
For this dessert, I adapted it from my balsamic strawberry toasted crostini recipe.
I swapped out sweet cherries for the strawberries and spread the ricotta honey mixture on a store-bought baked puff pastry instead of French bread.
When you macerate cherries in balsamic vinegar and honey for about a half an hour the result is amazing.
These sweet cherries are exploding in flavor. The vinegar really brings out the sweetness of this stone fruit.
I usually always keep a puff pastry in the freezer during the summer months. I love topping this crisp, flaky crust with any kind of summer fruit.
Cherry & Honey Ricotta Tart
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1.5 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook the puff pastry according to the package directions, about 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned. Allow it to cool completely.
- Macerate the cherries in the balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon of honey for about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese and 2 tablespoons honey until well blended. Spread the ricotta mixture onto the puff pastry being careful not to break up the pastry crust. Top with the marinated cherries and drizzle with honey before serving.