Enjoy summer’s citrusy sweet cherry tomatoes as the highlight ingredient on this grilled chicken BLT flatbread pizza.
Grilled chicken, sweet cherry tomatoes, crispy pancetta bacon and peppery arugula are layered on top of flatbread or naan bread.
But first I spread delicious goat cheese that was flavored with red peppers on top of the flatbreads.
The flavor is amazing and the stone fire pizza crust is crispy and delicious.
My cherry tomatoes were sweet, sugary and prolific this year.
It was a good year for tomatoes. I swear I picked a good two cups of the sweet fruit in just a matter of minutes.
I’ve been waiting for the height of summer to get here.
It’s here and I just you can’t help popping a few in my mouth as I’m picking.
There’s nothing like it when you grow your own.
I planted cherry tomatoes on my back patio in a whiskey barrel.
I also have fresh herbs like basil and rosemary nestled alongside.
It’s nice to be able to pluck off what you need when you need the freshest ingredients.
I knew I wanted to use cherry tomatoes featured on a flatbread pizza.
I thought roasting the tomatoes along side squash and zucchini would be delicious but my husband wanted something with a little more bite.
That’s where the chicken and crispy pancetta stepped in.
This chicken BLT flatbread would make a great appetizer for any game day, party or pizza night.
But tonight it will feed my whole family.
What is flatbread?
Flatbread is a bread made with flour, water or milk and salt and rolled into flattened dough.
Many flatbreads are unleavened and others are leavened, like pizza, naan and pita bread.
Flatbreads are different thicknesses and can be baked, fried or grilled.
You can make flatbread at home or pick up a store-bought crust that is easily found in the bakery section of your local grocer.
This easy flatbread pizza literally took less than 30 minutes to make.
It’s a easy and quick dinner when you’ve got places to be and kids to shuffle.
I’m a big fan of pizza especially the gourmet make-it-yourself variety loaded with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
For this flatbread pizza, I grilled the chicken and fried the pancetta ahead of time.
Even easier, pick up a rotisserie chicken from your pick of local grocery stores.
I spread the goat cheese over the crust, topped with the juicy chicken and pancetta and grilled it until the cherry tomatoes blistered.
Then I added fresh arugula and drizzled with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Slice it up anyway you’d like and serve!
Topping ideas for this grilled flatbread pizza recipe
The beauty of this recipe is that you can substitute your choice of toppings to just about any flavor combination you desire.
- Margherita pizza. Fresh mozzarella cheese, juicy tomatoes and fresh basil.
- BBQ chicken. Rotisserie chicken, grilled red onion and barbecue sauce.
- Meat eaters. Italian sausage, diced ham and pepperoni, melty cheese and red pepper flakes.
- Hawaiian pizza. Ham and pineapple with traditional pizza sauce.
- Buffalo grilled flatbread pizzas. Use buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, diced chicken and mozzarella cheese.
- Veggie pizza. Corn, mushrooms, onions, peppers, eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes. The possibilities are endless.
Tips for the perfect grilled flatbread pizza
- Go easy on the toppings. If you overload the pizza you’ll end up with a soggy crust.
- Keep the temperature of the grill or over at 350 to 400 degrees. If it’s too hot you’ll burn the bottom of the crust.
- Use indirect heat if the pizza crust starts to brown too quickly. Set another burner of the grill to low heat and slide pizza to the cooler side of the grill if needed.
- Remove the pizza from the grill using large spatulas and transfer to a cutting tray or stone.
- Allow the flatbread to cool for a few minutes to allow for easy slicing.
- Use a pizza cutter on a baking stone and slice the pizza into squares or triangles.
What to serve with flatbread pizza
- Caprese salad
- Arugula salad with tomatoes and mozzarella
- Watermelon arugula salad
- Fried green tomatoes
- Pasta salad with Italian dressing
Remember to subscribe to HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER to get the latest recipes delivered directly to your inbox!
The Best Grilled Chicken BLT Flatbread Pizza Recipe
- 4 ounces spreadable roasted red pepper flavored goat cheese
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces cooked pancetta
- 1 cup arugula
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 square flatbread pizza crust, from the bakery or deli aisle
- Preheat the gas grill to medium heat.
- Grill or bake the chicken breast or use rotisserie chicken.
- Fry the pancetta until just crispy and transfer it to a paper towel lined plate.
- Top the flatbreads with the spreadable goat cheese. Layer the crust with the grilled chicken, tomatoes and cooked pancetta.
- Place pizza directly on the hot grill rack for 8-10 minutes cooking time. (If the crust begins to brown to quickly slide pizza to another area of the grill for indirect heat, or heat set to low)
- Just before the crust finishes browning, add the arugula and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 2-3 minutes more.
- Remove from the grill and slice the grilled pizza into triangles, squares or rectangular shape on a cutting board or pizza stone.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!