This chocolate banana pudding pie recipe is layered with ripe bananas, vanilla custard and homemade whipped cream on a chocolatey crust.
I bet you can’t eat just one slice!
This black bottom banana cream pie is silky and smooth.
The number of simple ingredients and steps to make this dessert may intimidate you, but it doesn’t have to.
Making the homemade vanilla pudding from scratch is easy and quick and the result is comparable to what you buy in a pastry shop.
Did you know that the banana cream pie was named the favorite pie of the Armed Forces in 1951.
One taste and you’ll understand why!
What to do with bananas about to go bad?
I don’t know about you but I always have bananas that need to be eaten.
I’m always looking for recipes that use up ripe bananas that are starting to turn.
My kids are fans of my banana berry smoothie Popsicles while my husband can’t turn down a slice of my chocolate chip banana muffins.
This pie recipe will make a banana lover out of anyone!
After all who can say NO to bananas and chocolate!
Do you refrigerate banana cream pie?
Yes. Keep this pie chilled before serving. You can even make this pie and refrigerate it up to two days prior to serving.
How to make this banana pudding pie recipe even easier
If you are short on time or need a dessert in a pinch, there are many easy ingredient swaps to making this chocolate banana cream pie.
Purchase a store-bought pie shell, a graham cracker crust or Oreo crust.
Or if you prefer, you can layer vanilla wafers on the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate in lieu of a prepared crust.
Use Jello vanilla custard or instant pudding instead of homemade.
Spoon Cool Whip Topping on the pie instead of fresh whipped cream.
How to make this chocolate banana pudding pie recipe
Pick up the ingredients at the grocery. Don’t forget the cornstarch for this simple recipe.
Bake the pie crust. Then add a layer of melted chocolate.
Make the homemade creamy vanilla pudding.
Add slices of fresh bananas on top of the pudding mixture and chocolate.
Chill this homemade banana pudding pie before adding whipped cream and more banana slices to the top of the pie.
More recipes using bananas
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
The Best Homemade Chocolate Banana Pudding Pie Recipe
- 9 inch pie crust, baked and cooled
- 3 tablespoons corn starch, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- dash of salt
- 1 1/3 cups cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese, softened (about 2 ounces)
- 2 cups sliced ripe bananas, about 3 medium bananas cut into 4-inch slices
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Heat oven and prepare pie crust according to the package directions and cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sugar, cocoa, and a dash of salt. Gradually whisk in 1/3 cup of cold milk, whisking until smooth. Cook for about 2 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until thickened. Spread chocolate mixture into the bottom of the cooled crust.
- Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, eggs, and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for one minute, until thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer at medium high speed until smooth and light, about 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup of the hot custard to the cream cheese and beat, just until blended. Stir the cream cheese mixture into the remaining hot custard.
- Slice the bananas and arrange the slices from edge to edge over the chocolate layer. Spoon the homemade pudding over the layers of sliced banana and smooth out to cover. Press a piece of plastic wrap onto the surface of the custard and chill the pie for 3-4 hours.
- Prepare the whipping cream in a small bowl and beat until soft peaks form adding in a spoonful of sugar to taste.
- Remove the plastic wrap and spread the whipped topping over the creamy pudding layer. Garnish with fresh banana slices, chocolate shavings or mini chocolate chips. Chill until ready to serve.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!