Sweet nuggets of ripe pear and chocolate will surprise your taste buds in these delicious pear muffins.
Whip up a batch of regular size muffins for a perfect on-the-go breakfast.
My family is a big fan of my zucchini chocolate muffins so this recipe came about by varying a few of the ingredients for a new kind of muffin.
We are fruit lovers in my family and pears are no exception. We love fresh pears.
My kids were fans from the start. They would gobble down the little pieces in the baby food jars. They eventually graduated to the snack packs you can find in the canned fruit aisle. Luckily they both prefer fresh.
Fresh pears are heart healthy because they are full of fiber and antioxidents.
How long to pears take to ripen?
Pears should be ripened indoors over 7 to 10 days at a temperature of 60 to 70 degrees. If you want to enjoy them sooner, then speed up ripening by placing the pears in a tightly sealed paper bag. The fruit give off ethylene gas, which accumulates in the bag and promotes ripening.
What kind of pears should I use in these muffins?
For this recipe I used diced crisp Anjou pears. But Seckel, Bosc, Forelle, and Concorde are all wonderful choices. And they don’t need to be ripe to bake in this recipe.
Can’t find pears? You can pick up pre-packaged or canned pears from the canned fruit aisle. Just drain the juice first.
How to make pear muffins
To make these delicious muffins, it’s important for the dry ingredients to be mixed together before adding the wet ingredients.
Then carefully stir in the pears.
By using Greek yogurt in this recipe, these pear muffins will be super moist. Baked at 350°F for about 20 minutes these muffins will be ready to eat or freeze for later.
These pear muffins make a unique treat for any bake sale and are a lovely gift to give over the holidays.
More recipes using pears
BE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE MONTHLY NEWSLETTER TO GET THE BEST RECIPES IN YOUR MAILBOX FOR THE SEASON – SIGN UP HERE
Chocolate Pear Muffins
- Muffin Tin
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups diced pears
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°Prepare a 12 tin muffin tray with cooking spray. Using a mixer beat the eggs, sugars, oil, yogurt and vanilla making sure there are no lumps from the brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, add in the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder until well mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.Add in the pears after mixing. Fill each muffin tin with batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes then cool the muffins completely before removing from the tin. Serve or freeze for later.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!