Add a little Mexican zing to your next batch of chorizo stuffed mushrooms with the spicy flavor of fresh chorizo sausage and nutty Manchego cheese. These melt in your mouth mushrooms are perfect for your holiday party.
One of my favorite veggies are mushrooms and they are so versatile.
They are great added to pastas and salads, delicious on top of pizza and are a must next to any cut of grilled beef.
They are also great when showcased on their own as a party appetizer.
This recipe can be made for any holiday and I especially love to bring out this appetizer platter on Cinco de Mayo.
How to make chorizo stuffed mushrooms
For this recipe I wanted a bite-sized morsel with a little zing and a cheesy finish.
I chose baby bella mushrooms for this recipe although portobellos would be just as delicious.
I snapped off the stems and placed them cap side down in a cast iron skillet.
Next, I cooked a spicy chorizo mixture with manchego cheese, spices, red wine and Worchestershire sauce.
I also mixed in panko breadcrumbs to help bond my ingredients together and stuffed each mushroom cap full.
Finally, I baked the mushroms in the oven for about 20 minutes until they were done.
Baking these mushroom caps in a cast iron skillet in the oven helps distribute the heat and seal in the juices from the mushrooms.
A baking sheet is another option if you don’t have a cast iron skillet.
This mixture paired with the earthy flavor of the mushroom is just delicious.
I also have stuffed this chorizo and manchego cheese mix inside boneless chicken breasts before grilling.
No more boring chicken!
More great appetizer recipes
- Ricotta Crostini with Balsamic Strawberries
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Butternut Bacon Potstickers
- Bread Dip with Olive Oil and Sun Dried Tomatoes
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms, saving the stems
- 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo, casing removed, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup Manchego cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a damp paper towel clean the mushrooms, removing and saving half the stems. Chop the reserved stems. Brush the mushroom caps with olive oil before placing them cavity side up in a cast-iron skillet.
- Over medium heat cook the chorizo until browned and crumbled. Add the reserved stems and cook for two minutes more. Pour in the red wine and Worchestershire sauce and mix to incorporate. Transfer the chorizo mixture to a bowl. Stir in the breadcrumbs, chopped parsley, cheese and olive oil.
- Spoon in the chorizo mixture into the mushroom cavities. Bake until the mushrooms are tender and golden on top about 20 minutes.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!