Add a little Mexican zing to your next batch of stuffed mushroom with the spicy flavor of fresh chorizo sausage and nutty Manchego cheese. These melt in your mouth Chorizo & Manchego Stuffed Mushrooms are perfect for your Cinco de Mayo party.
One of my favorite veggies are mushrooms and they are so versatile. They are great added to pastas and salads, delicious on top of pizza and are a must next to any cut of grilled beef. They are also great when showcased on their own as a party appetizer.
For this recipe I wanted a bite-sized morsel with a little zing and a cheesy finish. I chose baby bella mushrooms for this recipe although portobellos would be just as delicious.
I also mixed in panko breadcrumbs to help bond my ingredients together. Baking these mushroom caps in a cast iron skillet in the oven helps distribute the heat and seal in the juices from the mushrooms.
A baking sheet is another option if you don’t have a cast iron skillet.
This mixture paired with the earthy flavor of the mushroom is just delicious.
I also have stuffed this chorizo and manchego cheese mix inside boneless chicken breasts before grilling. No more boring chicken!
Chorizo & Manchego Stuffed Mushrooms
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms, saving the stems
- 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo, casing removed, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup Manchego cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a damp paper towel clean the mushrooms, removing and saving half the stems. Chop the reserved stems. Brush the mushroom caps with olive oil before placing them cavity side up in a cast-iron skillet.
- Over medium heat cook the chorizo until browned and crumbled. Add the reserved stems and cook for two minutes more. Pour in the red wine and Worchestershire sauce and mix to incorporate. Transfer the chorizo mixture to a bowl. Stir in the breadcrumbs, chopped parsley, cheese and olive oil.
- Spoon in the chorizo mixture into the mushroom cavities. Bake until the mushrooms are tender and golden on top about 20 minutes.