Rich and creamy crab bisque made with chunks of freshly cracked Alaskan king crab meat can be on your table in 30 minutes.
It’s not very often we have leftovers from a crab crack. But when we do we can’t toss that sweet meat. It’s too precious and too delicious.
Crab bisque certainly gives clam chowder a run for its money.
This soup a perfect way to warm up in the winter as well as serve as a starter for a summer dinner.
Is crab bisque easy to make?
Hearty and easy to make, this creamy crab bisque will remind you of summers at the beach.
Simply made with onions and carrots, this chowder is enhanced by the sweet meat of Alaskan King crab.
Once you try it, you’ll definitely be making it again.
What does crab bisque taste like?
This soup is delicious, rich and creamy and made with fresh crab meat, cream and milk and a bit of sherry for that umami flavor. It’s better than any seafood chowder.
What you’ll need to make this creamy crab bisque
Crabmeat. Now this bisque will work with any kind of crab meat, such as Maryland Blue crab or Dungeness crab. But our crab crack was with Alaskan King crab. My opinion is that it is superior to all other crab meat and it’s always a good thing when you can find a great deal at your wholesale warehouse club.
Onion. I always stick to sweet Vidalia onion because it’s my favorite.
Carrots. Grab a bag and get chopping.
Broth. I used chicken broth for this recipe because it’s what I had in the pantry, but seafood stock would intensify the flavor.
Cream. You’ll need heavy cream for this recipe.
Butter. This is probably already in your fridge. Grab one stick.
Flour. This should already be a pantry staple.
Lemon. Fresh is best. It makes the flavor just pop in this bisque.
Sherry. Cooking sherry or white wine works if you don’t have sherry.
Worcestershire sauce. Lea & Perrins is my go-to.
Cayenne pepper. Just a bit to give this soup a kick of heat.
Love crab? Try these delicious recipes and sides
- Old Bay Crabcake Sandwich with a Chipotle Mayo
- Classic Old Bay Crab Cakes with Roasted Red Peppers
- Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad
- Tomatoes Caprese Salad
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
Creamy Crab Bisque
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1.5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 12 ounces Alaskan King crabmeat, chopped
- Sauté the carrots and the onion in 2 tablespoons of butter until soft. Set aside.Using a heavy soup pot create a roux mixing together the remaining flour and butter until cooked through and browned being careful not to burn.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth whisking consistently until smooth. Add the onions and carrots and simmer for half an hour.Add in the remaining ingredients including the crabmeat and simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh black pepper and dried parsley.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!