Only 1/4 of adults eat three or more servings of vegetables day. I’m guilty of that and I am always looking for ways to sneak greens into the foods I eat.
There are too many excuses: vegetables are pricey, they don’t taste great, it’s too difficult to cook.
When I was younger I was not a fan of asparagus or brussel sprouts. But as I grew older and wiser so did my taste buds. Now I’m trying vegetables I never would have touched in my youth. You just have to give vegetables a chance.
The great thing about the array of vegetables available at your local grocer or fruit stand is that they don’t all require cooking. Eating them raw or blended into a smoothie is a great way to get a multitude of health benefits.
I love all kinds of salad and there are plenty of recipes available on Home & Plate, but sometimes you just want your veggies in a different way. My kids prefer their veggies on their plate rather than in a salad bowl.
Coming up with lots of delicious recipes to sneak in those greens, I asked a few of my blogging friends for their best recipes.
Reasons to eat your greens
- Leafy greens are low in fat and calories and are a source of fiber, and vitamins A, C and K.
- Greens are good for your heart and are rich in potassium.
- They are loaded with nutrients and antioxidants, To help you maintain healthy blood pressure.
- Eating your veggies can help protect you against certain types of cancers.
- Eating a variety of vegetables can reduce your risk of heart disease, obesity and type two diabetes.
Getting your share of vegetables every day is easy. They are plentiful so be sure to buy fresh when they are in season. They will cost less and be at their peak flavor.
Tips to choosing the right veggies
- Stock up on frozen vegetables for soups or easy and quick recipes.
- Buy prewashed bags of salad greens, kale and spinach.
- Look for vegetables that have been prepped and packaged to save you time in the kitchen.
Do you ever wonder how to select the best and freshest veggies? This resource offers tips to selecting the best veggies from A-to-Z.
Need a few recipes to get more veggies in your diet?
Pin this to your Veggie board to save for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration!