Ground beef, fire roasted tomatoes, a jalapeño pepper and the right spices are all you need to whip up this pot of easy homemade beef chili.
[UPDATED] Cold weather has set in here in Ohio. When the temperatures dip below freezing it’s nice to have a steamy pot of homemade beef chili simmering on the stove.
While I have many different recipes for chili on Home & Plate, this one is a classic. Ground beef, fire roasted tomatoes, a jalapeño pepper and the right spices are all you need to whip up this pot of deliciousness.
You may be tempted to grab that chili seasoning packet when making homemade chili but it’s really not necessary.
It’s about the right ingredients and making sure you have them on hand. The right tomatoes and the right kind of heat makes a big difference in how your chili turns out.
If you like your chili spicy hot, it’s easy to adjust.
Add a habanero pepper instead of a jalapeño. Add more chili powder and cayenne pepper. I used Bush’s chili beans in a medium sauce. They also sell it hot.
My husband likes to add a little hot sauce to his bowl of chili. When I making chili for a crowd I like to keep my recipe mild or medium heat. It’s easy to spice things up with a little Tabasco or Cholula.
This is a great recipe to serve on game day or on a cold winter’s day. I’ve also been known to serve up a big pot of beef chili on Halloween for all the neighbors to enjoy.
Top the chili with a little cheddar cheese and sour cream. My husband likes to top his bowl with oyster crackers, while I like to throw a few tortilla chips on top. Corn bread muffins are also easy and delicious to serve alongside.
Everyone has a different way of making chili. What’s your favorite way?
What ingredients are your musts?
Hungry for more?
Easy Homemade Beef Chili
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 14- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 14- oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 cans red chili beans in medium sauce
- 1 can kidney chili beans in medium sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- Over medium heat, sauté the onion until soft. Add the ground beef and brown the meat until cooked. Drain the excess grease. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for an hour. Garnish each bowl with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.