Bake up a dog treat recipe that is pup-approved and grain-free specifically made for dogs with allergies. These treats feature apples, bananas, pumpkin and carrots.
My golden retriever Indy developed allergies early on as a puppy. First it was an allergy to chicken, then grains.
The scratching and infected ears gave it away.
We went through a long trial of allergy testing trying different foods and eliminating ingredients one by one.
My other dog Riley is a senior and takes medication for normal liver function. As such he must eat a low protein diet.
How to make a dog treat recipe that all dogs love
Finding the right dog treat recipe for dogs with allergies that works for both dogs has been a challenge.
I’ve searched high and low for the right ingredients in my dogs’ treats with very little options.
So I decided to take matters into my own hands and create a one of a kind treat both dogs would love and appreciate.
In researching ingredients I discovered coconut flour to be grain free.
I also took a closer look at what my dogs could eat and used several ingredients in my dog treat recipe that are safe and allergy friendly.
Indy gets a scoop of unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil on his food in the morning so I knew coconut flour would be safe for him.
Apples and carrots are safe as is pumpkin. Now I needed a binder.
Because eggs are a no-no on the list of ingredients, I used mashed banana.
You can substitute two eggs for banana if your dog is not allergic.
Mixing everything together was easy. Coconut flour is made from defatted coconut meat.
It is gluten-free, high in fiber and is a great alternative to wheat flour.
It does require a higher ratio of liquids when baking so add more water to the recipe if needed.
I scooped out handfuls of the dough to flatten before using a cookie-cutter to shape out the dog treat.
To be honest, I ended up skipping the cookie-cutter and just scooping by rounded tablespoon.
Why? Because my dogs really don’t care what they look like. As long as they’re delicious they are happy.
They took 25 minutes in the oven to bake to a light golden color.
Indy and Riley offered their help in the kitchen throughout the entire process. They were more than willing to be taste testers.
Be sure to make some treats for your humans too:
- Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Cookies
- Copycat Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Cookies
- Soft Batch Oatmeal Carrot Cake Cookies
Love dogs? Also be sure to follow the adventures of Indy and Riley on Instagram.
Dog Treat Recipe for Dogs with Allergies (Grain Free)
- 1 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a large cookie sheet.
- Use a mixer to blend together the coconut flour, banana, apple sauce, pumpkin, grated carrots and water. The mixture will be slightly crumbly. Use a cookie scoop and roll the dough in your hands into a circle. Alternately, you can flatten out a large ball of the dough and use a cookie cutter. (My dogs don’t care if their treats are shaped like bones or dogs.)
- Arrange the dough on a cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Allow the dog treats to completely cool before refrigerating in an airtight container.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!