Skip the Wendy’s drive-through and instead make your own apple pecan chicken salad from scratch.
Tart Granny Smith apples, meaty pecans and breaded chunks of chicken are topped with a homemade honey orange balsamic vinaigrette.
This hearty salad is delicious and tastes better than anything on the fast food restaurant’s menu.
I don’t frequently eat fast food.
It was last summer on a road trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina that the family decided to stop at Wendy’s.
Not in the mood for burgers, I selected an apple pecan chicken salad.
I was surprised how tasty it was.
I decided I could make a healthier version at home using a homemade dressing. Challenge excepted!
I think my version is better than anything fast food.
I’ve been eating a lot of salads for lunch as part of my New Year’s resolution.
I am doing a great job with that…it’s April after all.
I’m really not one to make resolutions but eating healthier shouldn’t take effort.
And the salad is so delicious it doesn’t feel like a chore.
My kids love Panko crusted chicken. I usually prepare plenty for leftovers that can be used in other recipes during the week.
This salad takes less than 30 minutes from pan to plate.
I left off the dried cranberries and crumbled blue cheese but it’s easy enough to add in moderation.
Next time you’re in the mood for Wendy’s, skip the drive-through line and make this easy and delicious salad at home.
Love apples? Be sure to try my Honeycrisp Apple Pecan Salad with an Apple Cider Vinaigrette.
Granny Smith Apple Pecan Chicken Salad
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 eggs, beaten
- 1 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups baby spring lettuce mix
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, optional
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- To prepare the chicken place the beaten egg into a shallow bowl. Dip each breast into the egg, then into the breadcrumbs. Transfer each to the hot skillet. Cook the chicken until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter to cool. Then chop each chicken breast into cubes.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the vinaigrette.
- Arrange the greens in two bowls. Top with chicken and apples. Sprinkle with pecans and drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!