Keep it cool this summer with this Greek avocado pasta salad featuring summer’s best vegetables.
Silky and creamy, avocados are perfect in recipes that are savory and sweet. Usually served raw, avocados are typically equated with guacamole.
While I love this green dip for chips, there are so many more delicious uses for avocado.
I used to not like avocado. I think it was something about the color of this green fruit.
But I grew up and learn to love it in my college days and now it’s a favorite in anything summer related including salsa and Mexican fare.
It’s creamy and delicious and is loaded with heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids and has more potassium than a banana and is loaded with fiber.
Avocado goes great in this pasta as well as salads, smoothies and grilled meats.
Is Avocado a fruit or a vegetable?
Yes it’s a fruit!
My pasta salad features the authentic flavors of Greece – cucumber, tomatoes and fresh feta cheese. Avocado is the icing on top. This is the perfect side dish for any barbecue, potluck or party.
We enjoyed this Greek avocado pasta salad over the Fourth of July weekend while watching fireworks and eating fried chicken.
Now be sure you pick out the right avocado. A ripe avocado is squeezable and yields to gentle pressure. Pop off the stem of the avocado. If it pulls away easily and it’s green you got a winner. After scooping out the insides and slicing or chopping, I always shower it with a little lime juice to keep it from browning.
I have lots of variations of cold pasta salads in my refrigerator over the summer. Summer is just too hot to be eating it – hot! This one goes great with any grilled meats, including lamb.
There are a few more weeks of summer left. Be sure to give this a try before the cool weather sets in.
Greek Avocado Pasta Salad
- 1/2 pound ditalini cooked and drained
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 14 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes, red and orange, halved
- 4 ounces block Greek feta cheese in water, crumbled
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain. Chop the avocados and toss in the lime juice to keep from browning. In a large bowl add the pasta, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, avocados and feta cheese including the water.
- Stir in chopped cilantro, the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Stir carefully as to not break up the feta or avocado. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper to taste.