This grilled meatloaf sandwich recipe is better than a burger and tastier than a meatball sub. Make this lunchtime favorite with last night’s leftover meatloaf!
My favorite meatloaf recipes are made with turkey and the other with lean ground beef.
The best way to use up last night’s meatloaf dinner is to make leftover meatloaf sandwiches.
Better than a grilled cheese sandwich, this delicious sandwich stacks up to any panini sandwich.
We love homemade classic meatloaf and it’s the ideal hearty meal during the colder months when you are craving comfort food.
I follow a recipe for diner style meatloaf that is a hit in my house with plenty of leftovers.
It’s juicy and delicious and we always have plenty for the next day.
Who can say no to leftover meatloaf and homemade barbecue sauce!
I get tired of eating the traditional sandwich.
Turkey and ham from the deli counter are fine for school lunches but on the weekend, I crave something a bit more substantial.
When you have leftovers in the fridge that need to be eaten or thrown away, it’s best to be creative and come up with something new and delicious.
But today…lunch is calling for something different!
What goes on a meatloaf sandwich
Bread. White bread or wheat as long as they are soft and thick slices. Even a hamburger bun would work.
Condiments. Flavored mayonnaise, a dash of hot sauce or ketchup would be tasty but for me a little barbecue sauce is the way to go.
Veggies. Load this hearty sandwich with your favorite toppings. I’m partial to lettuce and tomatoes. I bet red onions or cooked onions would be tasty as well.
Cheese. What is your favorite piece of cheese? I went with provolone on the bottom of sandwich. But the deli counter has every flavor you can imagine. Jalapeño flavored cheddar would give the sandwich just the right amount of heat. Don’t you think?
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read our disclosure policy.
How to make this easy meatloaf sandwich
The big dilemma when grilling a sandwich in a skillet is how to keep it from falling apart.
I don’t know about you but I’ve been known to lose my sandwich on the flip the taller the stack.
Next, build your sandwich in the pan and top with the other piece of bread.
By grilling your sandwiches at a lower heat you’ll end up with the sandwich that’s perfectly grilled on the outside and melted and warm on the inside.
Serve this sandwich with potato chips, French fries or onion rings.
Try these other lunchtime favorites
- Hawaiian Calzone
- New York Strip Steak Sandwiches
- Shredded Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Crockpot Turkey Meatball Subs
Remember to subscribe to HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER to get the latest recipes delivered directly to your inbox!
The Best Grilled Meatloaf Sandwich Recipe
- 2 bread slices (any type of bread)
- 2 slices leftover meatloaf, room temperature
- 2 slices provolone cheese, pepper jack cheese or mozzarella cheese
- Spreadable butter
- BBQ sauce, optional
- Lettuce and tomato for garnish
- Heat a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Then reduce the heat to medium low.Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread
- .Place both slices of bread butter side down in the cast-iron skillet.
- Layer on one slice of cheese, a thick slice of meatloaf and lettuce and tomato.
- Once the second slice of bread has toasted golden brown use a spatula to place on top of the stacked sandwich.
- Wait another minute or until the cheese melts before removing to a plate.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!