This Mediterranean Goat Cheese Pizza features sweet juicy nectarines paired with salty prosciutto and creamy and tangy goat cheese. This turns an ordinary pizza into something phenomenal.
I absolutely love fresh pizza baked until golden brown with a homemade tomato sauce.
In my house we eat it at least once a week.
But sometimes we crave something a little different.
Have you ever topped your pizza with peaches or nectarines?
There is some thing about the tangy flavor of goat cheese paired with sweet stone fruits.
Stone fruits go so well with goat cheese and honey and this recipe is no exception.
There’s something about the creamy texture of the cheese and the sweet nectar from the fruit when you put them together.
I’m not particular when it comes to selecting peaches over nectarines.
I like them both.
The fuzzy skin of a peach doesn’t bother me.
But for those who prefer smooth and fuzzless, nectarines are just as delicious.
My husband and I enjoy creating pizzas with unique ingredients that have contrasting flavors.
We love to have a pizza night with the whole family.
Sometimes you just have to step away from traditional pepperoni.
What goes well with goat cheese on a pizza
Figs and arugula are delicious paired together with goat cheese.
Another great pizza topping combination is sweet caramelized onion, bell peppers and black olives.
Maybe you prefer artichoke hearts with goat cheese or feta cheese?
What you’ll need to make this Mediterranean goat cheese pizza recipe
- Pizza crust. I used naan flatbread from the bakery department of my local grocer. If you want a crisp crust, a thin pizza base is what you want.
- Nectarines. No need to peel this fruit. Use peaches if you can’t find ripe nectarines.
- Prosciutto. This salty Italian ham elevates this pizza to gourmet.
- Mixed greens. Arugula is also delicious on this pizza and adds a peppery punch that is delicious with the sweet nectarines.
- Balsamic vinegar. I only use aged balsamic because of the sweet flavor that it adds to the pizza.
- Goat cheese. Crumbled or packaged works well.
- Honey. Local honey is something I always have on hand. Pick up a fresh container from the farm market.
- Black pepper.
How to make this Mediterranean pizza recipe
For this gourmet pizza, I picked up a couple prepackaged flatbread pizza shells, or naan bread, from the bakery section of the grocery store.
Ideally, a thin pizza crust works best. You can pick up a premade crust at any number of grocery stores.
You also can make your own homemade pizza dough or just purchase a ball of dough from from the fresh or freezer section at the grocery.
Next, I draped sweet nectarine slices over salad greens and creamy goat cheese and added bits of salty prosciutto.
A drizzle of summer honey and aged balsamic vinegar and this delicious pizza goes from grill to plate in about 10 minutes.
This delicious recipe goes on a hot grill but can be easily made inside in a hot oven.
Don’t be afraid to experiment when it comes to creating unique and flavorful flatbread recipe.
This pizza is one of those easy dinners that can be personalized to what each person wants on their pizza.
Toppings to use on your pizza
Here are some of my favorite toppings that are delicious on any goat cheese pizza recipe.
- Caramelized onions
- Kalamata olives.
- Fresh arugula
- Fresh figs
- Green bell peppers
- Fresh spinach
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Artichoke hearts
- Grilled chicken breast
What does goat cheese taste like on pizza
Goat cheese is made from goat’s milk and has a tart yet earthy flavor that is buttery and mild.
The texture is similar to cream cheese but slightly stiffer.
It’s a type of cheese that melts differently than fresh mozzarella cheese in that it does not really stretch like what you would expect under high heat.
It’s healthy and easy to digest.
It comes plain or flavored with fresh herbs and can be found in the specialty cheese section of your grocery store deli.
Other recipe ideas using stone fruits?
- Granola Parfaits with Peaches & Blueberries
- Peach & Blueberry Trifle
- Peach Crostini with Whipped Honey Ricotta
- Rosemary Honey Peach Frozen Yogurt
- Authentic Peach Pico de Gallo
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
The Best Mediterranean Goat Cheese Pizza with Nectarines
- 2 naan flatbreads
- 1 nectarine, sliced
- 2 ounces prosciutto
- 2-4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 cup mixed greens
- Cracked black pepper
- Aged balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the grill to medium-low heat, around 300 degrees F.
- Prepare each naan on a pizza pan or large baking sheet adding crumbled goat cheese to each flatbread.
- Add a 1/4 cup of mixed greens on top. Top with pieces of chopped prosciutto.
- Arrange half the nectarines slices on each pizza. Add cracked black pepper and drizzled honey to taste.
- Place the baking sheet on the grill and allow the pizzas to "bake" until the goat cheese has melted and the greens have slightly wilted, about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer the pizzas from the baking sheet to a cutting board or pizza stone.Drizzle each pizza with aged balsamic vinegar, slice and serve.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!