Have a little fun in the kitchen this holiday and make these deliciously yummy healthy halloween treats – Mummy Apple Crypts.
Turn a simple homemade apple pastry into a fun and healthy Halloween treat that’s cute yet scary and spooky.
Halloween is a fun occasion in my neighborhood.
We have lots of costumed kids and mine always come home with more candy than we know what to do with.
They are perfect at classroom parties, preschools and daycare. They are simple, creative and made with fruit. That’s a win!
Last year, my Graveyard Tombstone Brownies were the hit of Halloween.
My boys and I had great fun creating these apple mummies and we were happy to share them with the neighborhood kids.
Sweet honeycrisp apples and a sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon is all that’s needed for this pop tart.
Delicious for breakfast or anytime of the day!
Are these healthy Halloween treats easy to make?
Easy to make with puff pastry sheets from the frozen food aisle or refrigerated dough, these pop tarts are always a hit.
You can’t really mess this up. Just cut the dough into squares, cut some strips along each side and wrap up those juicy apples.
And don’t forget the candy eyeballs.
You can find those in the baking aisle of your local grocery store.
Get creative if apples aren’t your thing.
Fresh strawberries, bananas, pumpkin, peanut butter and chocolate or even tomato sauce, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.
Who doesn’t love pizza pop tarts!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Healthy Halloween Treats - Mummy Apple Crypts
- 1 package of puff pastry
- 2 cups apple, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- Equal parts cinnamon and sugar
- Candy eyeballs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel and dice the apples. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Follow the directions on the box of puff pastry to thaw. Unfold the two sheets of puff pastry and cut each sheet into four squares. Place the squares on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Score three dividing lines as shown in the picture per square. Next create 6-8 strips on each side of the square being careful not to cut into the middle.
- Place a spoonful of your sugar cinnamon diced apples in the middle of the square. Next, fold the top strip and bottom strip down each side of the middle to keep the apples in place. Fold the remaining strips diagonally to create the body of the mummy. Be sure to leave enough space around the head of the mummy to fit candy eyeballs once the pastries come out of the oven.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and use a pastry brush to spread the eggwash over the top of the mummy. Sprinkle each mummy with equal parts cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake according to the package directions, about 15 to 20 minutes until the mummies are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow the pastries to cool before fitting in the candy eyeballs.
What you’ll need for this recipe