Loaded with shredded zucchini and squash, these healthy chicken burgers are full of flavor and juicy.
Give beef a break and serve up chicken burgers instead.
It’s summer and we’ve been eating a lot of beef.
While hamburgers and steaks on the grill, are typical summer fare, I like to use up my bounty of homegrown gourds to make the most flavorful chicken burgers you could ever imagine.
Are chicken burgers tasteless?
Not this recipe!
Plain ground chicken burgers are boring, lack flavor and dry out quickly.
Summer squash and garden zucchini are shredded and mixed with Panko breadcrumbs for an inventive burger that’s juicy and full of flavor.
Seared to golden perfection and baked to finish, I like to top these chicken burgers with a slice of Vermont white cheddar cheese and a dollop of spicy sweet jam.
No boring dinners tonight! This recipe is simple to make and can be on the table in under 30 minutes.
Trying to keep things healthy? Skip the cheese and bun and serve on lettuce leaves with a dollop of your favorite fruity jalapeño jam.
My favorite is Bellisari’s Blistered Jalapeno & Fig Spread and I always make sure I have it on hand because it’s so tasty on so many dishes. Yum.
WANT TO TRY THESE HEALTHY CHICKEN & ZUCCHINI BURGERS?
PIN THEM TO YOUR DINNER BOARD TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Healthy Chicken & Zucchini Burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1 small yellow squash, shredded
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- A sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- A sprinkle of kosher salt
- 4-5 slices of white cheddar cheese, optional optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. After shredding the zucchini and squash, use your hands to squeeze any moisture from the vegetables.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground chicken, zucchini, squash, onions, bread crumbs, egg, cayenne pepper, and kosher salt. Using your hands, carefully create 4-5 chicken patties.
- Add 1 tablespoons of olive oil to large cast-iron skillet or frying pan and allow the pan to get good and hot. Sear the chicken patties about 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken patties to a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Add a slice of cheese to the top of each patty and bake for two minutes longer.
- Serve on your favorite burger buns with the toppings of your choice.