Loaded with shredded zucchini and squash, these healthy chicken & zucchini burgers are full of flavor and juicy.
Give beef a break and serve up chicken burgers instead.
It’s summer and we’ve been eating a lot of beef.
While hamburgers and steaks on the grill, are typical summer fare, I like to use up my bounty of homegrown gourds to make the most flavorful chicken and zucchini burgers you could ever imagine.
Sometimes it’s nice to switch things up when you want a break from red meat!
These burgers are just as juicy as traditional burgers but with zero guilt.
If you are looking for a way to reduce your beef intake, lower your fat consumption and eat more vegetables, then this is the recipe for you.
Are chicken and zucchini burgers tasteless?
Not this recipe!
Plain ground chicken burgers are boring, lack flavor and dry out quickly.
Summer squash and garden zucchini are shredded and mixed with Panko breadcrumbs for an inventive burger that’s juicy and full of flavor.
Seared to golden perfection and baked to finish, I like to top these chicken burgers with a slice of Vermont white cheddar cheese and a dollop of spicy sweet jam.
No boring dinners tonight!
This recipe is simple to make and can be on the table in under 30 minutes.
What you’ll need to make these burgers:
Ground chicken. Ground chicken or ground turkey is what you’ll need. One pound will yield at least four burgers.
Egg. One small egg helps bind all the ingredients together.
Breadcrumbs. Stick with Panko breadcrumbs. They help keep the ground chicken from become too sticky to work with.
Zucchini. Make sure it’s thick enough to hold in your hand to shred. The more shredded zucchini you add, the more moist the burgers will be.
Squash. Grab it from the garden or the produce department of your grocery.
Onion. I tend to stick with my old time favorite, sweet Vidalia.
Cayenne pepper. Adding a dash of heat adds so much flavor to these patties but not so much to be overpowering.
Trying to keep things healthy?
Skip the cheese and buns and serve on lettuce leaves with a dollop of your favorite fruity jalapeño jam.
My favorite is Bellisari’s Blistered Jalapeno & Fig Spread and I always make sure I have it on hand because it’s so tasty on so many dishes.
Love zucchini? Be sure to try these delicious recipes
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Easy Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- Grilled Zucchini with Feta & Pine Nuts
- Fresh Zucchini Parmesan Stacks
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Healthy Chicken & Zucchini Burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1 small yellow squash, shredded
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- A sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- A sprinkle of kosher salt
- 4-5 slices of white cheddar cheese, optional optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. After shredding the zucchini and squash, use your hands to squeeze any moisture from the vegetables.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground chicken, zucchini, squash, onions, bread crumbs, egg, cayenne pepper, and kosher salt. Using your hands, carefully create 4-5 chicken patties.
- Add 1 tablespoons of olive oil to large cast-iron skillet or frying pan and allow the pan to get good and hot. Sear the chicken patties about 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Transfer the chicken patties to a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Add a slice of cheese to the top of each patty and bake for two minutes longer.
- Serve on your favorite burger buns with the toppings of your choice.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!