Transform last night’s leftover baked potatoes in to a delicious breakfast with these cheesy Incredible Edible Egg & Potato Boats.
Don’t toss those extra baked potatoes. They are perfect for this yummy easy breakfast. Just loosen the potato in its skin and mix in your favorite veggies.
Crack in an egg, sprinkle with cheese and bake. You have an incredible edible breakfast in about a half hour.
Eggs have gotten a bad rap for a long time. Not anymore.
They are full of protein, high in Vitamin D and are heart healthy. We all should be eating more eggs.
This recipe came about unexpectedly.
After cooking one too many potatoes for a dinner get together, I was about to toss the extras.
That’s when the light bulb went off. I’ve seen lots of recipes lately where “put on egg on it” seems to be the trend. I knew it would work here to make a hearty breakfast.
I scooped out the insides of the potatoes and mixed half with chopped vegetables and cheese and returned the mix to the skins.
Then, I made a well and nestled an egg right on top. The potatoes were room temperature so they needed a half hour of baking.
They were crispy and the eggs perfectly cooked. As long as the eggs are cooked through you can’t really screw up this recipe.
My oven has a timer so I could easily stick my potatoes in the oven the night before and schedule my oven to bake them so they are soft and ready to go in the morning.
What are you having for breakfast?
Incredible Edible Egg & Potato Boats
- 2 baked potatoes, room temperature
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup red pepper, room temperature
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, room temperature
- 4 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Slice the baked potatoes into 4 halves. If preparing the potatoes ahead of time, bake at 425°F for an hour. Reduce the heat to 400°F. Allow the potatoes to cool for 10 minutes.
- Scoop out the insides from the potatoes saving the mash from one potato to a bowl. Add the mushrooms, red pepper and cheese to the bowl and mix lightly. Divide the veggie mash amongst the empty potato shells.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and place the potatoes in the dish. Create a well using the back of a spoon in each potato half. Crack an egg into each well and season with salt and pepper. Bake the potatoes for 20-30 minutes watching closely near the end of cooking time to make sure the eggs don't overcook. If you are using room temperature potatoes they will need a little longer than just cooked potatoes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and top with the crumbled bacon.
10 thoughts on “Incredible Edible Egg & Potato Boats”
Don’t you love it when accidents turn into something so amazing! Potatoes, Egg and cheese! What more can one ask for?
Sometimes those turn out to be the best recipes. This was one of them. Thanks Tina.
Always looking for new ways to stuff a potato and this recipe sounds perfect for breakfast. Can’t wait to try it, yum!
I do the Brewer Diet when pregnant, and have to eat 2 eggs a day on it. By the end of the pregnancy I don’t ever want to see another egg again because I am so burnt out on them. I’m always looking for new egg ideas! Thanks!
I’m glad I could help you out. There is plenty mixed in that it’s not all about the eggs. Enjoy.
Perfect recipe to start the day with. Plus I love that it follow the reducing waster philosophy. And eggs are our friends 🙂
So true…thanks Sara:)
Such a great use for leftover baked potatoes! This looks absolutely delicious, Ali!
Thanks Ashley…it was a breakfast winner!