Marinated grilled shrimp flavored with lemon zest and basil served on a bed of Parmesan couscous is an easy spring and summer dinner that can be on your table in under an hour.
Warmer weather has arrived and with it grilling season. Time to clean off the grill and get cooking.
Put away those casserole pans and crockpots and pull out the skewers and charcoal.
We’ve had a pretty warm winter so maybe you’ve been using it all along.
Now that the weather has warmed up we are enjoying more dishes off the grill and more time on our screened porch.
I’m a big fan of shrimp on the grill and always make plenty. It’s easy to enjoy on a hot night and leftover shrimp is just as delicious the next day tossed on a salad.
The key to this recipe is the lemon zest and fragrant fresh basil. I love to use fresh lemon in my cooking when it calls for it and I do add it to the marinade. I also add it to the couscous so it is not so bland.
My husband is not a huge fan of couscous because he thinks it tastes pretty boring cooked plain. But add some lemon juice, a little white wine and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and it tastes delicious – restaurant worthy as my husband would say.
Hungry for more?
Lemon Basil Grilled Shrimp & Couscous
- 1 box couscous
- 3/4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Metal or wooden skewers
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup lemon juice, olive oil, lemon peel, mustard, garlic, basil and pepper. Add the shrimp and mix to completely coat. Let the shrimp marinate for 30 minutes.
- Once the shrimp have finished marinating, thread the shrimp onto metal or wooden skewers. Grill the shrimp over medium heat, rotating once, for a total of 3 to 4 minutes or until the shrimp has turned pink and is cooked through.
- Prepare the couscous according to the box directions. After the couscous has finished cooking, add 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and stir to mix. Keep covered.
- Serve the shrimp over couscous and garnish with fresh chopped basil.