This Old Bay Crabcake Sandwich with a Chipotle Mayo recipe is a family favorite and lunch time winner because it’s filled with delicious crab meat and little filler.
This sandwich is all about the crab meat – your getting plenty of bread via the roll.
This recipe reminds me of summer. I remember so many vacations on the Outer Banks of North Carolina crabbing with my sisters in obscure areas near the bay. We would fill buckets and buckets with crabs and have a grand feast at the end of the day.
Today… crabbing is a little tougher. Our favorite hideaways have been discovered and it’s just easier to head to the fish market to buy the crab already picked and packaged and ready to go.
We still love the crab but now we put out effort in creating the feast!
We always make crabcakes or pile them onto soft buns and turn them into sandwiches. So delicious!
An Old Bay crabcake sandwich with a spicy chipotle mayo will take you back to those summer beach days. But there’s nothing to stop you from making this delicious summertime favorite when you’re far from the ocean.
What kind of crab meat is best for these crabcake sandwiches?
You need to find the key ingredient – delicious lump crab meat. It’s the large pieces of crabmeat from the body of the crab. It’s more expensive than claw meat but worth the extra dime.
The spicy chipotle mayo gives this sandwich the right amount of kick without taking away from the flavorful sweet meat between the buns.
I like to spoon a little chipotle mayo right on top of the crabcake and then add my favorite toppings. I prefer to add a fresh slice of tomato from the garden.
My husband tops his with bacon. This crabcake sandwich is also delicious with a simple leaf of lettuce.
What to serve alongside these Crabcake Sandwiches
- Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad
- Tomatoes Caprese Salad
- Summer Corn Salad – Healthy and Easy to Make
- Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
- Cold Sesame Noodles
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Old Bay Crabcake Sandwich with a Chipotle Mayo
- 1/2 cup Panko break crumbs, parmesan and herb flavored
- 1/2 red pepper, roasted and diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Parsley Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Chipotle Mayo:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/2 of a lime, squeezed
Prepare the chipotle mayonnaise
- Blend together the mayo, chipotles, adobo sauce and lime juice until puréed and well blended. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Make the crabcakes
- Mix together all the ingredients, using your hands if necessary. Shape into four large patties. Be sure to refrigerate the crabcakes for about 30 minutes before cooking. It helps to keep them together while cooking. Using a cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add the crabcakes to the pan. Fry them flipping once until golden brown on each side, for a total of about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer the crabcakes to your choice of sandwich rolls. Sandwich a crispy crab cake between the bun halves and top with the chipotle mayo and the toppings of your choice.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!