Delicious, melt in your mouth cookies that reminds me of snowballs. The powdered sugar coating, the crumbly texture, the homegrown pecans…these pecan butterball cookies are a delight any time of the year.
What’s another name for pecan butterball cookies?
These popular cookies are known my different names.
They are called Mexican wedding cookies, Italian wedding cookies, Russian tea cakes, Russian butterball cookies, snowball cookies, we call these southern pecan butterballs in our family.
They are also perfect holiday cookies and easy to whip up for your next cookie exchange party.
These buttery cookies are filled with toasted pecans and rolled in powdered sugar.
They are perfect for holiday cookie exchanges
No one can eat just one! Yes they are that good.
This is a delectable cookie that melts in your mouth.
What makes these cookies so wonderful is the pecans are right from the tree.
My mother is lucky enough to have friends who harvest pecans right in their backyard.
Of course not everyone is so lucky.
I’m a big fan of Pearson’s peaches in the summertime. Surprisingly, they are also known for their pecans.
I always buy several bags near the end of summer and keep them stored in the fridge or freezer.
They’re perfect for making pecan pies and cookies for the holidays.
Where do you find fresh pecans?
Of course the grocery store is the easiest place to find fresh pecans.
And many feature freshly harvested nuts every fall available in the bulk foods or produce section.
Try there first before buying pecans already bagged.
Your local farmer’s market is another place to find pecans and other nuts.
I like to toast the pecans for about five minutes before using them in this recipe.
It enhances the flavor of the cookies.
It’s also important to allow the butter to completely soften at room temperature before using.
This easy recipe is also one to make with your children. After all, who says no to cookies?
My kids love to be in charge of rolling them in the powdered sugar.
Be sure to also try these favorite holiday cookies:
HOW TO MAKE PECAN BUTTERBALL COOKIES
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup pecans finely chopped
- 1 cup Confectioner’s sugar
- Pre heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Roast the chopped pecans for 5-7 minutes watching closely so it doesn’t burn. Allow to cool completely.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer with a large bowl, combine flour, softened butter, sugar, salt and vanilla until well blended. Add chopped pecans.
- Roll dough and shape into 1-inch balls.
- Place the pecan balls on a nonstick cookie sheet or ungreased cookie sheets covered with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until just slightly brown. Transfer the pecan butter balls to a cooling wire rack and roll the warm cookies in the cup confectioners’ sugar coating well.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!