Enjoy the sweet flavors of the tropics with this homemade fresh Pineapple Pico de Gallo recipe.
Eat it with chips, on fish tacos or spoon it over your favorite grilled seafood or chicken.
I love the sweet, syrupy taste of pineapple because it reminds me of our vacations to the Caribbean.
The blue water, the warm temperatures and the exotic fruit.
We’ve tried the tropical flavors of guava, soursop, kiwi, jackfruit and ackee.
Of course our favorite is ripe pineapple.
You can create a unique and delicious tasting salsa using pineapple as the main ingredient.
Pico de Gallo is simply a chunky salsa. It’s made with fresh ingredients and uncooked.
I love to serve this pineapple Pico de Gallo salsa as a healthy snack on a hot summer day or as a side dish at a summer party.
It’s easy to make and is good for you.
Skip the food processor to make this.
It does take a bit of time chopping all the ingredients by hand but it’s a labor of love that is worth it.
The sweet heat and crunch from the sweet and spicy peppers and onion offer a delicious contrast to the sweet, juicy pineapple.
How to make this salsa
I followed a standard list of simple ingredients for fresh Pico de Gallo.
- Chopped juicy, sweet pineapple
- Red onion
- Sweet bell pepper
- Spicy jalapeño peppers
- Fresh cilantro
- Zesty lime juice
In a mixing bowl, combine the ingredients, add in fresh squeezed lime juice and chopped cilantro and let the spicy flavors rest for about 15 minutes.
If you like a spicy salsa, you could use habanero peppers or serrano peppers in this fresh salsa recipe.
Chopped fresh tomatoes, like Roma tomatoes, and sweet crunchy corn would also be delicious ingredients in this fruit salsa.
Fresh produce yields the best fruit salsa recipes.
Best way to eat your pico de gallo
We love Mexican food so this spicy pineapple salsa is always on the table along with the sour cream and fresh guacamole.
Serve it alongside your favorite Mexican dishes.
I love it as an alternate option for a game day party or Cinco de Mayo gathering.
It’s healthy with no added sugar, high in vitamin C, low fat and the perfect balance of sweet and spicy.
The good news is that it’s guilt free so there are so many ways to eat it.
- Serve it over fresh grilled fish or chicken.
- Serve it on your favorite pork tacos , chicken tacos or steak tacos.
- Serving alongside your favorite tortilla chips.
- Use it as the base for your favorite ceviche recipe.
How to select the freshest pineapple
- Check the color of the leaves. Choose a golden pineapple with healthy, green leaves.
- Smell the stem end of the pineapple for sweetness. If it has no scent it’s probably not ripe. Avoid a whole pineapple that is all green or all brown.
- Give it a squeeze. The pineapple shells should be firm yet give slightly when you press on it.
- The pineapple should be heavy. A heavy pineapple means a juicier pineapple.
- Refrigerate your pineapple whether you cut it right away or not.
Try these additional fresh fruit salsas
Traditional Pico de Gallo – Salsa Fresca
If you love this recipe, please leave a comment with a five-star rating. Be sure to follow HOME & PLATE on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for all the latest content, recipes and updates.
Remember to subscribe to HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER to get the latest recipes delivered directly to your inbox!
Easy Pineapple Pico de Gallo Salsa Recipe
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 sweet red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- Fresh lime juice from 1 lime
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- Fresh black pepper
- Chop all pineapple, onion and peppers on a cutting board into bite sized pieces.
- Add the pineapple, onion and peppers to a medium bowl and mix to incorporate.
- Add pepper to taste, squeeze in the lime and stir in the cilantro.
- Serve over tacos or with chips.
- Store leftover salsa in an airtight container.
11 thoughts on “Easy Pineapple Pico de Gallo Salsa Recipe”
I love pico de gallo and making it with pineapple is such a great idea! And thanks for the great tips for picking and storing pineapples. I didn’t know that you are supposed to keep them refrigerated.
Me too especially in the summertime. There is nothing like fresh pineapple and mixed with other ingredients. Yum.
I have a ton of pineapple leftover from the holiday! I am going to be using it to make thanks for sharing!
I love the addition of pineapple! This is perfect for summer!
Thanks Shadi…I agree…perfect for summer
OK, this summer I am totally making this! I LOVE fruit salsas but have not yet made one with pineapple. This one looks perfect!
Yes…this salsa is great on fish, chicken or just with chips. Love it in the summertime 🙂
Pineapple is my favorite fruit! I make a blueberry salsa that’s similar to this, and I know your pineapple pico de gallo has to be fabulous! Gorgeous photos too.
Thanks Andrea. I think a blueberry salsa would be delicious too. Love all with fresh fruit 🙂
Homemade salsa is always worth it! Pineapple sounds so perfect and fresh. Delicious!
Thanks Colleen…love it for the summer. It’s so fresh!