Taco night is a regular dinner in my house and these pulled pork tacos aka pork carnitas are a family favorite.
It was a trip to Chicago in September 2014 where I discovered the best tacos I have ever had.
The pulled pork had been slow roasted to perfection…tender and so full of flavor.
Paired with black beans, crumbled queso fresco, pico de gallo and fresh avocado, these pulled pork tacos disappeared quickly.
Perfect to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, this recipe fits the bill for a neighborhood Mexican celebration.
How to make pulled pork tacos at home
Anytime we slow roast pork tenderloin, I make sure we make enough for dinner the next night.
The pork seasoning mix also works well to make shredded pork sandwiches for the big game the next day.
When you have leftovers, there is always plenty for Taco Tuesday.
As long as you have plenty of toppings, Mexican night is always a winner!
Make sure you have a selection of soft tacos as well as crispy corn shells for options and picky eaters.
Chop up fresh tomato and avocado and drain a can of black beans.
Serve it with my Jasmine Rice with black beans and cilantro.
While I love the crunchy texture of a taco my children prefer the softness of a flour tortilla. So I make sure I have plenty of choices on hand.
Have you ever tried corn tortillas?
They are just as delicious topped with shredded pork.
This recipe also works well served on tortilla chips.
I’ve been known to whip up a plate full of pork nachos on game days.
I root for the Buckeyes and with football season right around the corner, this is the perfect appetizer to feed a crowd.
Just arrange your tortilla chips, top with shredded pork, black beans and add your favorite nacho fix-ins.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO HOME & PLATE NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #HOMEANDPLATE on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured! FOLLOW HOME & PLATE ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Pulled Pork Tacos aka Pork Carnitas
- 1 3-pound pork tenderloin
- 1 McCormick slow cookers BBQ pulled pork seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Taco shells and tortillas
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- Pico de gallo or diced tomatoes
- Crumbled queso fresco or your choice of cheese
- Two avocados, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Place the pork tenderloin in a glass baking dish. In a bowl mix together the seasoning packet, ketchup, vinegar and sugars.
- Pour the mix over the pork tenderloin and add the half cup water to the bottom of the pan. Cover with aluminum foil tightly and bake for 3 hours.
- Remove the pork from the oven and shred using two forks. Return the shredded pork to the liquid and keep warm in the oven.
- Fill the warm taco and tortilla shells with black beans, pico de gallo, sliced avocado, and queso fresco.
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!
Recipe creator and photographer￼
Love dogs? 🐕 🐶 Follow @retrieverandhound |
Hungry? 👇🏼Find dinner!
What You’ll Need for this Recipe