Delicious for fall, these moist and sweet pumpkin cupcakes are sprinkled with chocolate chips and topped with cream cheese frosting.
It’s fall. The kids are back in school so on my calendar, summer is officially over.
And it’s that time of year! Nothing spells fall and harvest time more than apples and pumpkins.
It’s pumpkin season and there is nothing like the fall flavors of pumpkin, cinnamon and fall spices.
Everything you need to enjoy fall is in these delicious chocolate chip pumpkin cupcakes.
And back to school is the best time to make sweet treats that the kids can enjoy at the end of a busy day.
My kids love my two-ingredient pumpkin spice muffins as an after school snack.
This easy recipe is similar with the addition of semi sweet chocolate morsels and cream cheese icing with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
What I love about this recipe is that just about everything you need is something you already have in your kitchen pantry.
I always have a whole can of pumpkin and a bag of chocolate chips stored in the pantry because you never know when you might need them.
Otherwise a quick trip to the grocery store is in order and don’t forget the paper liners.
This recipe calls for one cup of canned pumpkin purée.
My pups are always willing to finish off what’s left in the can.
After all, I can not say no to those sweet faces.
Easy variations for pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes
This recipe is easily adaptable.
You can use dark chocolate chips instead of semi sweet.
Use mini chocolate chips.
Make these moist cupcakes using a mix of 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour.
Bake the cupcakes in a mini muffin tin and cut the baking time by a third.
My recipe features four spices that complement that pumpkin flavor – cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg.
If you have pumpkin pie spice, use a teaspoon of that instead.
This recipe will still be delicious if you only have a few of these spices readily on hand.
I like to sprinkle a teaspoon cinnamon on top after I have frosted these cupcakes.
The full recipe card is below.
Who can say no to a fork full of this deliciousness?
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
For the frosting
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a 12-cupcake tin with cupcake liners or muffin cups.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix together the wet ingredients including the eggs, butter, brown sugar, pumpkin and vanilla until blended.
- Combine together the dry ingredients separately then add the flour mixture to the bowl.
- Combine at high speed until moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake tins, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 to 23 minutes in the preheated oven or until a toothpick inserted in the top of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for five minutes then transfer to a wire rack.In a medium bowl, beat together the confectioners sugar, the butter and cream cheese.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Store the cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you make a recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #homeandplate. I’d love to see what you cook!